Sako VS Browning

Browning Stainless stalkers made during the early 90s are incredible shooters that I have owned, several 7 mags, '06, and 270 Win. If you could swing it, buy the browning, and then take your time on the Sako on a rebuild. You will probably need a new barrel on the sako with the rust you speak of. We do not have pics of the Sako in existing condition, but when you mention rust, the barrel is probably a total loss. Sounds like you are not happy with the stock condition either.

The Browning stainless stalkers of the early 90s are incredible, it is worth saying again. So much so, their sales dominated the market here in the South during that time.

114 Words
I love ❤️ my Stainless Stalkers! 375, 300 boss, 7Rm, 06', 270 Boss. 😃

I have an option to get a minty A Bolt, early 90s stainless stalker, plastic stock, in 375H&H for 1500CAD
I have zero experience with browning rifles. comes with rings and a throw away scope, iron sights

but I already have a Sako AV in the same, but its in rough condition, needs a total overhaul, only the stock is in passable condition, needs but pad, a TON of cleaning, some rust all over the place and blueing is mostly gone. I got it for about 900, pictures were apparently very old. Ill probably have to put 400 into it, plus time to make it usable. AND it needs a rear sight.

any opinions? Is it worth putting in the effort into the Sako?

I have a couple older Sako (L579r carbine and L61r) that shoot under MOA if I do my part, and a couple of Tikkas so I'm comfortable with Sako but have never held a browning
Sako.

I have an option to get a minty A Bolt, early 90s stainless stalker, plastic stock, in 375H&H for 1500CAD
I have zero experience with browning rifles. comes with rings and a throw away scope, iron sights

but I already have a Sako AV in the same, but its in rough condition, needs a total overhaul, only the stock is in passable condition, needs but pad, a TON of cleaning, some rust all over the place and blueing is mostly gone. I got it for about 900, pictures were apparently very old. Ill probably have to put 400 into it, plus time to make it usable. AND it needs a rear sight.

I have a couple older Sako (L579r carbine and L61r) that shoot under MOA if I do my part, and a couple of Tikkas so I'm comfortable with Sako but have never held a browning
I have 2 early 90's A bolt stainless stalkers. They both shoot factory Fusion ammo less than MOA, reloaded-tuned ammo even better, and have been reliable, A Boyd stock nicely replaces the Tupperware stock. The Sako needs no introduction. As rough a condition you describe the Sako..what condition is the bore of the barrel..needing replacement?
A tough call.

Last edited:

Sako don't go past them they're exceptional value for money

Guess that makes us even as I never had a Sako, though I hear great things about them. I have had 3 Browning A bolt actions that I had rifles built around by HCR. They all shoot sub 0.5 MOA. The main determinant for me is the shotgun style safety. I am a mountain hunter and carry the rifle usually off the right shoulder preferably but when you get fatigued will switch to the left shoulder. One year with a Remington I thought at first I had neglected to put the safety on when carrying the rifle on the left shoulder. After several episodes I realized that as the rifle got jarred around the safety would catch on the pack and get knocked off. Since then I prefer shotgun style or three position safeties when packing. Sitting on a stand or local day hunting never a problem, but something to be aware of.
Why do you carry a cocked and loaded rifle, genuine question

In my defense, there are no Finnish strip bars in Nevada…so out here we don't know if Finns even wear underwear….but Buckmark thongs are commonly sighted nearby in those Utah hunting camps.
**** straight they are. Us Utahans love our rutty buck logo cooter coverings.

I HAVE OWNED BOTH FLAVORS AND I AM NOT KNOCKING A BROWNING, LOVE THE COMPANY, BUT THE SAKO HAS TIGHTER BUILD TOLERANCES AND IS JUST AN ALL AROUND BETTER MADE RIFLE.

Last edited:
I have both. I love A-bolts for a variety of reasons, but the fit and finish of a sako is always nicer. For the price tag, that a bolt simply isn't worth it. You can typically find a clean clean a bolt 1 or 2 for 500-700, although I'm sure the .375 caliber adds a premium to the price tag. Just not $1500 worth.

If the sako is salvageable, go that route. If the a-bolt price drops to $1,000 then it's worth changing tactics and going that way instead.

I currently have a abolt 1, 3 abolt 2's, a FN browning Safari, an HR ultra 300 (which is a sako l579 action) and a sako 85. The sakos are nicer, the actions feel better, the triggers are better out of the box. Accuracy is the same between all the rifles. Any load will shoot 1", a tuned in load will keep around 1/2-3/4". The FN browning doesn't balance right, but the a bolt is one of the best naturally pointing rifles I own. It all comes down to preference on that aspect.