Sako a7 roughtech range 300 win mag

Rigby416

Hey gang, im considering purchasing a sako a7 roughtech long range in 300 win mag, and i noticed the twist is only 1 in 11. Most of the 200 grain and heavier bullets seem to require 1in 10 or faster. Is the 1 in 11 going to be too slow to stabilize the heavy bullets? Seems odd that they would have a slow twist for a long range rifle. The rifle will be for target out to 600 yards

My T3 did just fine with a 180gr TTSX at 500 this fall. A little lighter than what you are looking for, but info never hurts. Same twist and pretty much same gun.

Thanks for the reply, I've also found the max cartridge oal the magazine will fit is 3.325", with the max in the book for the 300 is 3.340", which pretty much eliminates the possibility of using long bullets or seating them out longer.

I have the Tikka T3 which I modified a little and I am shooting the Nosler 200 grain accubond factory ammo with no problems at sea level. They do just fit into the magazine but cycle with no problems.

I had my heart set on the a7 but I'm hesitant to spend 1200 dollars on one and have limitations on what i can shoot out of it. Have all of your guy's a7s or tikkas shot sub moa with most loads? Im wondering if i should go for a savage 12 lrp instead?

That's the gamble when you don't reload. Over the years I could have easily bought what ever reloading equipment I would have needed with the money I have spent finding a round each rifle likes. My 300wm is a Tikka T3. I swapped the stock to a McMillan Sako Hunter, swapped the bottom plastic to aluminum, put Talley light weight rings, and glass bedded the action. The reason for changing the bottom plastic to aluminum was so I could torque the mounting screws to 60 inch pounds. With the plastic, when it was torqued above 30 inch pounds the plastic flexed and would bind the magazine. I went through about 6 different rounds until I found one I was happy with. I made it hard on myself because I was about where I wanted to be but wound up taking it down and bedded the action because I still wasn't satisfied. After bedding the action it changed what it liked. Fortunately it now likes one of the brands I had already tried and the bedding process made it even more accurate with this round. It will group 3/8 to 1/2 an inch but it likes a clean barrel. As the barrel fouls the group size will increase, but when hunting, how many shots do you get? I have around $1600 in the rifle minus the scope. I went with this rifle knowing I was going to swap out the stock simply because I love this stock and it fits me like a glove. The whole package with the scope is 8 pounds.

I do reload, so finding a load shouldnt be a problem other than the short magazine/oal cartridge restriction. I think the a7 will have a lot of potential if i can work around that. I keep reading alot of mixed reviews on the savage but all good things with sako

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts