Sako A7 Long Range - 7mm rem mag

That stock comes with an aluminum bedding block, will glass bedding it make that big of a difference?
It can make the difference between a 1" group and a 1/2" group... I can tell you that much. Sometimes it can make more of a difference...sometimes less, if the rifle is already accurate it will only make a small difference, but a small difference could mean the difference in 1/4" groups instead of 1/2" groups.

I always skim bed any stock that has an aluminum bedding block. There is almost always an improvement in accuracy, sometimes only slightly, but it makes for a perfect fit. The action and the block are machined in different shops and at different times and there is always a little variation anyways so the skim bedding makes them mate up perfectly. I will also bed the recoil lug too at the same time, takes all the stress off the action screws and makes for a very consistent shooting rifle, plus I enjoy working on my rifles, gives me a sense of pride after working on them and making good hits at long range.

According to the Sako website, it has a 24.4" barrel which is a little less than ideal for any of those chamberings if you are trying max out velocity potential. I think it would still be a great shooter though, my T3 Varmint in 6.5 Swede shoots awesome and it has a similar barrel on it.

Two models: Roughtech Pro with a 620mm (24.4") barrel and Roughtech Range with a 656mm (26") barrel.

Cheers

Might want to check on warranty of that Cabela's Sako before you buy; there was a discussion a while back over on sakocollectors about that. It's been alleged that neither Beretta/Sako or Cabela's accept the responsibility of warranty and the 1 moa guarantee. I have the SA Varmint version (.243) of that series of that rifle and frankly have been enjoying it so much I haven't had time to worry about it. As stated above, the A7's considered to be more of a low-end Sako/glorified Tikka. Who cares? It works for me: accurate, nice-handling, and reliable (other than an annoying tendency of cartridges popping out of the magazine in hot weather, probably due to expansion of the metal lips in the plastic body.) If I wanted a long action big game version however, I'd look at the very-similar stainless Tecomate, although chambering offerings are few.

I've not seen it in a while but they used to have 5-shot 1 MOA (or better) at 100 yards written guarantee accuracy like my older M995 in .300 Win Mag.

They still do:

nqirS4U.png

Cheers

Does anyone on here have any shooting feedback?

haydfXf

http://imgur.com/haydfXf

My Sako A7 in 7mm Rem Mag

With tuned hand loads, it'll shoot 3 shot groups into ½" at 175yd. If I've not had coffee that day..

My best accuracy has been with Berger 168gr VLD-Hunting bullets, Norma brass, Federal 210 Match primers (not usual 215M), and Retumbo powder. Right around 2995 FPS (5 FPS velocity spread). Look up Brian Litz use of 210M primers in 300 Win Mag - don't take my word for it.

According to my gunsmith, the barrel steel is very hard. Took a bit for him to thread the muzzle brake on.

Only weakness from the factory is a marginal stock. Sling screw pulled out on first hunting trip.

Muzzle brake on it makes it kick like a .223, to me.

Above rifle is a Sako A7 7mm Rem Mag, McMillan A5 stock, Nightforce NXS MOAR 8-32x56, 20 MOA rail, JP Rifles muzzle brake, Accushot Monopod & bipod, and Accuracy International biathlon sling (not shown - two shoulder straps, worn like a daypack).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.