SAKO 85 Classic, wood stocked

Buzzsaw

Thinking about buying one but wood stocked guns scare me as far as accuracy. Anyone have first hand experienced. This will be in a magnum caliber.

I had a Model 85 stainless hunter in 7mm-08 which shot great under MOA anyway.

buy? or pass? rifle is a little over $2,000

I have had several wood stocked rifles that rivaled accuracy in synthetic stocks. I'm pretty sure that those Sako 85's are completely free floated and pillar bedded so I wouldn't think you would have any stock related accuracy issues at all.....

Here is a few groups shot with mine and my wife's wooden stocked rifles all shot at 100m with various cartridges including 22-250, 25-06 and 6.5-284.
The last photo is a three shot group, two bullets went through the right hand hole as witnessed by a friend spotting for me, at 400m. It was shot with a Cooper Custom Classic in 25-06.
In my view, yes wooden stocked rifles can be very accurate.

20190221_111642.jpgSauer 22-250 Test.jpg20171213_224835.jpg20190718_121324.jpg

I have over 20 wood stocked Remington 700s and Winchester 70s and never had an accuracy issues I would attribute to the stock. All but one will shoot MOA or better with hand loads when I'm on my game. Many shoot substantially better. The one that doesn't (375 H&H) is due to operator headspace problems, not the rifle. I have my share of synthetics, but there's just something walnut and blued steel That appeals to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.