Ruger No.3 questions

WRX9013

I recently acquired a No.3 that has been rebarreled to 6x47. That's not anything I'm interested in. The barrel seems very well done but I know nothing about where it came from. I need input because I'm clueless. Do I try to find someone to rechamber it or send it off to PacNor for a whole new barrel? At that point it may be more than it's really worth as I have no sentimental attachment to the rifle whatsoever. I've never had a falling block rifle but I believe the rebarreling process is far above my skill level. I appreciate any and all input!

I recently acquired a No.3 that has been rebarreled to 6x47. That's not anything I'm interested in. The barrel seems very well done but I know nothing about where it came from. I need input because I'm clueless. Do I try to find someone to rechamber it or send it off to PacNor for a whole new barrel? At that point it may be more than it's really worth as I have no sentimental attachment to the rifle whatsoever. I've never had a falling block rifle but I believe the rebarreling process is far above my skill level. I appreciate any and all input!
Well how does if SHOOT first of all.
You may have a tack driver. 6X47 is a very good cartridge.

Nic, haven't any experience with the #3 but had a fondness for for #1's. Got one in 270 and finally got time to work with it. First if it shoots well do not touch it. If like mine would not group the work begins.
First thing replaced was the trigger sear. Then the Hicks #1 Accurizer. Now with a good trigger and a lot of 'fooling with the set screw on the Accurizer shoots good.
Would suggest unless you are confident with doing things, when you rebarrel have the gunsmith do those two things and then find the round that the rifle likes. Took a while but think I found the one.
Good luck,

Jerry

Attachments

• 130 silver tips.jpg
    130 silver tips.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 33
Honestly, I have no idea. I'm so confused by this rifle.
It is probably a 6x47 Lapua. What is stamped on the Barrel? Got some picture of the rifle?
From what you said is that you just bought the rifle. Probably got a really GOOD DEAL since you don't know too much about the cartridge.
From our experience the 6X47 Lapua shoot GREAT, but you need to check things out. From your info you don't have any AMMO for it and don't want to spend money for reloading components. Just think what it is going to cost to have the rifle re-barreled? AND you may have a perfectly good barrel on there now. I suggest that you take it to someone that knows rifles and have this one checked out. Like I said it may be a real shooter and why put a new barrel on it.
Send us a PM with detailed pictures and maybe we can help you out.
Thanks
Len & Jill

Nic,
The original 6x47 was a benchrest cartridge. Based upon the 222 rem mag case, necked up to 6mm. It preceeded the 6 PPC in popularity and records for accuracy at 1, 2 and 300 yd BRest. It was a wildcat cartridge (no factory ammo).
The 6x47 Lapua is also a wildcat cartridge (maybe now factory available).and is made from 6.5x47 Lapua brass. It is a fine deer cartridge as well as a mid- longrange benchrest/varmint cartridge. The 6x47 Lapua will handle 100gr bullets very nicely if properly twisted.

Take a picture of the markings on the barrel; and post that image. There is a sizable difference between the two cartridges even though they have the same designation.

Don't let us sway your decision since your confusion sounds like frustration. It would be easier to sell this rifle and buy something you are familiar with.

Here are the case dimensions.

6x47 (on the .222 Rem Mag case):

1674564915677.png

6x47 Lapua:

6x47-Lapua-Diagram.jpg

Modern falling blocks (Ruger #1,#3, recent 1885 High Wall's from Browning and Winchester) are strong actions (and my favorite actions by far). It is odd to me that there are not more custom falling block action makers out there. Maybe the patents are too simple to easily be designed around and too expensive to procure?

That's one of my favorite cartridges. I, too, would like to own that rifle, but I live in Oregon. And transfers of guns to people of Oregon have now been essentially outlawed by The State. This is not an overstatement. I've been a gunny my whole life. I saw this coming long ago, and it is now here. I didn't believe it would really come to my country, to my state.

I'm in OR, too, and just received a rifle from x-country. I'm about to find out what the pain is going to be... Sticking to the subject, Ruger #1's and #3's have always been desireables for me. Have had several #1's and that #3 you have sounds like it could be fun as is or rebored to something else in a 6mm that you might consider more useful. I want one of these but they don't come up for sale often and my timing always seems to be off by a hair... :confused:

Recent Posts