Ruger No. 1 Varminter .243 re-chamber suggestions

So I had a Ruger No. 1 Varminter in .243 fall into my lap and I'd like to re-chamber it for something interesting. Here's the specs (from Ruger's website).
26" barrel
1-7.7 twist.
Will be used for critters in Texas from white tails to coyotes and hogs of course. Maybe some steel for fun. Wife and kids might shoot it as well.
I'd like to change it to something that can take advantage of the heavier bullets. I'm thinking something like a .243AI or 6-284 or ?????.

What say you?

I love the Ruger #1. I remember reading a great article (circa 2004) about a guy who was rebarreling #1's. Very interesting (wish I could find it now) Since it's a breech block instead of a bolt face, as long as the extractor will work, any case is an option. (And the extractor can be fiddled with in some instances) I know you said "rechambered" but I wanted to mention the wide field of choices available to you if you ditch the barrel. Good luck in your efforts.

Last edited:
So I had a Ruger No. 1 Varminter in .243 fall into my lap and I'd like to re-chamber it for something interesting. Here's the specs (from Ruger's website).
26" barrel
1-7.7 twist.
Will be used for critters in Texas from white tails to coyotes and hogs of course. Maybe some steel for fun. Wife and kids might shoot it as well.
I'd like to change it to something that can take advantage of the heavier bullets. I'm thinking something like a .243AI or 6-284 or ?????.

What say you?
If you are determined to re-barrel I would look seriously at a 25-06 of a 6.5-06 AI.
If you only want to rechamber, I would look at a 6mm Rem AI.
Just my $.02,

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.