Ruger Mk. III/2x Nikon EER to 500-600 yds.

sscoyote

Not yet...but coming i hope. Here's the deal.

Was looking at the paperwork i received with a 2.5-8x EER i had on this rig for awhile and noticed that the 2x pictured had a target turret. Knowing that the lower the power the more the MOA turret adjustment, i checked the Nikon catalog and saw that there is a whopping 120 MOA of adjustment in the turret [advertised]. The Nikoplex reticle will provide an addtl. 40 MOA for maybe 140 MOA useable out of the system. Gonna put 20 MOA into the rings with Burris ***-Align system and see how far i can go with it. Gonna set up a coke can and see how many shots it takes to hit it with a spotters help. I'm getting 1050 out of the Win. Dynapoints that shot great out of the little 5.5"-barrelled rig. According to the ballistics program i need 134 MOA to get to 550 yds. so maybe it'll happen. Ordered the optic from Midway and supposed to deliver come end of this month when they get some in, so we'll see. Stay tuned for this little experimental adventure. Oughtta' be good for a couple laughs if nothing else. The bullet will tavel up to 60ft. above the line of sight. Isn't that amazing to think that a 22 will reach that far out of a handgun?

Well it's a good start at least--just looked at the ppwk. again and they have a blown up image of the turret that's a 1/2 MOA system, and they have the elevation turret graduated properly at even numbers starting at 0 then, 2,4,6,etc. every 4 clicks. I love the fact that they have a 1/2 MOA system in a 2x optic instead of 1/4.

Alrighty here's an update--

Got the optic in a week ago and mounted it. Slapped a Bushnell Grid Boresighter on after installing 30 MOA worth of credit card shim material in the base, and 40 total in the Burris rings with offset inserts. This optic has 180 MOA of turret travel in it, believe it or not, and actually returns to zero according to the Bushnell BS even after running the 7.5 revolutions into the turret. Got 160 useable out of the turret as setup and 20 more in the reticle for 180 total. That'll net me 650 yds. according to a ballistics program. Gonna start at 400 and go out from there in 100-yd. intervals. We'll see what happens--good or bad. Just a little research to see if theory even comes close to practical at all--

DSCN0076.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts