• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Ruger M77 Stock

Montanasloth

I'm at a bit of a cross roads with my current hunting rifle. I have a Ruger M77 Mark II in 270 win. I'm really looking to swap out the stock as i want to preserve the wood on it and hunting isn't always good for that. I know i have a few options not as many as say if it where a remington 700. I will be doing a build on either a winchester or remington action for a true long range build but i want to make my ruger into a solid 500 yard rifle (for game up to elk and possible moose) i have narrowed it down to 3 options. i can buy a boyds laminate, one of the two hogues (pillar vs full bedding block), or i could try to pick up a used ruger synthetic stock. i know i will have to bed 2-3 of the options, but i was wondering what one would be the best option... I can really spend about 250 tops and at the moment i'm still a little short but i have half of it now so i can easily meet the goal..

Thanks for your opinions guys and have a great new year!

Perhaps check out the Boyd's Pro-Varmint, strong but should be bedded. The last one I bedded was $168 including a Limbsaver recoil pad. Shipping was extra. Your choice is the most important and you should get the stock you like the most, however don't think you will be happy with the Tupperware. Good luck

The stock shouldn't be the hold-up for being viable to 500 yards, but....
The Hogues will need relieved like mad to float the barrel. I've never bedded any Boyd's and they shoot fantastically. Other than being uncomfortable, and designed by a retarded accountant, the factory stocks shot well also.

I second the vote for the Pro-Varmint, but may be heavier than most folks can deal with. Not anyway meant as a slight, but most seem a bit gurly-man, when discussing weight.

Buddy turned his Hawkeye into his match gun. 243 RPR barrel and Pro-Varminter stock.
IMG_20161221_120232_zpsmb4o7jzz.jpg

I'm thinking about the prairie hunter. This gun wont be a true long range rifle for game. this is going to be more of a carry in the woods gun. I was thinking the pro varmint for a Remington 788 I have but that's for another discussion. also with the boyds should I definitely upgrade and get the checkering? I'm kinda thinking I should but not 100%. I'm also deviating from the wood stock to get away from the weather, I've carried it in -20 on more than one occasion and while I've never seen temperature issues I've heard stories and it worries me. Sorry for being long winded, and thanks for the responses!

You've also heard stories of the Boogeyman, you gonna worry about them too??:D
A wood stock if still sealed is perfectly fine in the weather.
Do what you want, but if you are going to ignore your own experiences and results because some bozo told a campfire story about a bump in the night.....

Boyd's laser checkering isn't as pronounced as classic, but I like it. Then again, non-chemical has never been "slippery" to me.

Are you telling me Santa isn't real either?!?! I really just want to save the wood stock I have on it and maybe refinish it someday when I pass it on to one of the kids. I also want it to be different from the many other Rugers we have floating around in camp.. thanks for your comments.

I did a boyds laminate. Had a local gunsmith finish the install. Shoots sub moa at 200yrds all day! Can hit 8" gongs out to 640 every shot. Factory action and barrel. Only difference is it has about 1000 founds thru it. The stock made a ton of difference

I did a boyds laminate. Had a local gunsmith finish the install. Shoots sub moa at 200yrds all day! Can hit 8" gongs out to 640 every shot. Factory action and barrel. Only difference is it has about 1000 founds thru it. The stock made a ton of difference
Awesome! the gun shoots great as is easily, sub moa at 100 yards and we where hitting a phone book every time at 300 yards last spring. Definitely gonna be tuning a load for it this spring so we will have to see what the rifle can really do.