Ruger M77 mark ll 7 mag magazine??

RocketDog

I'm trying to get a load worked out for my Ruger 7 mag. The round is berger 168 gr vld. The problem I have is my C.O.A.L is longer then my magazine and my gun won't accept a round unless it is first put in the mag. Is there anyway to make the magazine longer or an aftermarket stock with a longer mag length?? Thanks

I'm trying to get a load worked out for my Ruger 7 mag. The round is berger 168 gr vld. The problem I have is my C.O.A.L is longer then my magazine and my gun won't accept a round unless it is first put in the mag. Is there anyway to make the magazine longer or an aftermarket stock with a longer mag length?? Thanks

I'm afraid you're out of luck with the aftermarket stuff. Your round doesn't have to go completely in the mag for it to feed. Lay the bullet on the feed ramp and push the cartridge case down until it pops under the mag feed lips. Close the bolt. The round will feed just fine. Incidentally, I don't know why your rifle will not accept a round that is not mag fed. You should be able to push feed the round, close the bolt smartly, and have the extractor slip over the case rim of the chambered round.

Another option is to switch to the Berger Classic Hunter, which is a hybrid design that will allow you to seat your bullet to mag length and will still shoot accurately after you tune your powder charge.

Ok thanks, I will have to start keeping an eye out for those. The local gunsmith said that he has been able to make some room in other caliber rugers to fit. Told me to bring it in with a round and he would take a look.

If the smith can't lengthen the magazine you can always adjust your seating depth so that it fits the magazine. I have had to run bullets at quite a jump from a couple of rifles that were just as accurate as the rounds I had to load single shot. I had to try different powders and charges but I have always made them work.

If the smith can't lengthen the magazine you can always adjust your seating depth so that it fits the magazine. I have had to run bullets at quite a jump from a couple of rifles that were just as accurate as the rounds I had to load single shot. I had to try different powders and charges but I have always made them work.

+1!lightbulb

Thanks. I've been going off a lot on what I've seen on here, that these vlds like to be near the lands. I will make a few up that fit the mag and see where it goes from there. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts