Ruger #1 vs Browning B78

Had a Browning i 25-06. Loved the feel of it and it loved 100 gr noslers. used it for antelope and coyote here in WY.
There were clearance issues with the hammer and scope, put a shoe on the hammer and issue solved. Should have kept that rifle, but there is always another pretty girl on the shelf at the gun store calling your name.
I thought the hammer buried in the action when cocked back, so shoes wouldn't work?

Do you have a picture or link to the one you are referencing?

25-06. Accuracy and deer hunting from a ground blind. Which is a better choice:

Ruger #1 NIB from circa 2006. 24" round barrel

Browning B78 from circa 1976 26" hexagon barrel. Supposed to be very low round count

1. Which one is going to be more inclined to be accurate and easier to do load development?

2. Will that 26" hex barrel be stiffer than the 24" round, or the other way around?

3. Which platform tends to be more accurate, or readily accurate?

4. Am I better off with the 30 year newer, and unfired, rifle? Or, is that older Browning on par?

Help me decide :cool:

**Edit**

5. Does anyone have first hand experience on how much fps I'll gain on that extra 2"? I know the rule of thumb is 25/inch, but some things I've read suggest 80-100fps for a 26" barrel?
I would love to wear out one of each for you. Just for testing purposes of course.
Love your choice of caliber.
I have a No. 1 that started life as a 25-06. It's been a 257 Arnold Mag and now a 25 WSM. It's been a great shooter. I love me a Browning too though. I had an 1885 in 454 Casull that I kick myself for getting rid of.

Guess I'm no help to you unless you want to hear "Get them both"

I really am leaning towards the Browning, but the whole exposed hammer and the minimal amount of room between it and the ocular bell on a scope gives me pause. I suppose I can run higher rings and add a leather cheek riser to give it more room?

Is there a safety issue lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber? Yes, I've done it plenty with lever actions without a scope, and my 1885 45-70 with a small Redfield, but today's scopes all seem to be getting bigger around on the ocular end.

Most likely I'm over thinking this, but it's good hearing the opinions and experiences of others.
I'd personally go with the Browning. Ruger #1s can be finicky, if you get one that is a good one and shoots, great. If not they're a PITA to get them right. As for the hammer, a hammer extension ought to take care of that issue. The Brownings are heavy, but you're hunting a ground blind so really shouldn't be an issue. I had a Browning in 45-70, easy to load for, no issues and 3 shot clove leafs at 100 yards

I've had a number of Brownings, both B78 and 1885. My preference is the B78 just for looks. Several ,25-06 (sadly, none remain), 30-06's, .270, 7mm mag. And then there were the "mods": .270 to 270 WBY, 30-06 to 300 H&H, 30-06 rebarreled to 330 HNH (my wildcat) and a custom Winchester single shot replica in 9.3x74R, rechambered to 9.3/375 Flanged (my wildcat). Do I like Browning (Winchester) single shots?? Hmm-mm,... maybe, I should get another 25-06? Where'd you say you saw that?? šŸ˜‚ By the way, Number 1's are cool too, 'cuz they're single shots.

I have several Ruger #1s and 1 B78.
Both are fine shooters.
Only issue with the ruger is the optic mounting. They use proprietary mounts and they minimize the range of movement on the scope. If you need more eye relief it difficult to achieve.
On one of my rugers put a rail on it from EGW, but you need the proper barrel combo for that to work.
I also have a Dakota model 10 which blows the other out of the water.

I have several Ruger #1s and 1 B78.
Both are fine shooters.
Only issue with the ruger is the optic mounting. They use proprietary mounts and they minimize the range of movement on the scope. If you need more eye relief it difficult to achieve.
On one of my rugers put a rail on it from EGW, but you need the proper barrel combo for that to work.
I also have a Dakota model 10 which blows the other out of the water.
I recently ordered the standard 1" rings and the larger 30mm rings from Natchez Shooting Supply for a reasonable price. They had all the sizes and finishes in stock including the offset ring mounts. If you want to go to a 34mm ring, I think Talley is making them for Rugers.

Still, you have a tough choice as they can both be really good.
Personally I would by the Browning only because I don't have one... yet.

Recent Posts