Ruger #1 vs Browning B78

choprzrul

25-06. Accuracy and deer hunting from a ground blind. Which is a better choice:

Ruger #1 NIB from circa 2006. 24" round barrel

Browning B78 from circa 1976 26" hexagon barrel. Supposed to be very low round count

1. Which one is going to be more inclined to be accurate and easier to do load development?

2. Will that 26" hex barrel be stiffer than the 24" round, or the other way around?

3. Which platform tends to be more accurate, or readily accurate?

4. Am I better off with the 30 year newer, and unfired, rifle? Or, is that older Browning on par?

Help me decide :cool:

**Edit**

5. Does anyone have first hand experience on how much fps I'll gain on that extra 2"? I know the rule of thumb is 25/inch, but some things I've read suggest 80-100fps for a 26" barrel?

Last edited:
Their both Beautiful rifles , which one tug's your heart string?. Wonderful caliber, there's also a model 1885 which is newer and improved over the B78 ,but their all Fantastic , they can get heavy but that's part of the choices to consider. I can't choose for you and I'll not put one down to make the others look better, Cheers and Enjoy!!!.

Their both Beautiful rifles , which one tug's your heart string?. Wonderful caliber, there's also a model 1885 which is newer and improved over the B78 ,but their all Fantastic , they can get heavy but that's part of the choices to consider. I can't choose for you and I'll not put one down to make the others look better, Cheers and Enjoy!!!.
Good point! The look and feel of the Browning makes it a winner for me

I really am leaning towards the Browning, but the whole exposed hammer and the minimal amount of room between it and the ocular bell on a scope gives me pause. I suppose I can run higher rings and add a leather cheek riser to give it more room?

Is there a safety issue lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber? Yes, I've done it plenty with lever actions without a scope, and my 1885 45-70 with a small Redfield, but today's scopes all seem to be getting bigger around on the ocular end.

Most likely I'm over thinking this, but it's good hearing the opinions and experiences of others.

OP, #5 answer is 25 fps per inch,chronograph's don't lie. #4 have you handled both rifles ,Or just seeing pictures?, there is a world of difference's, yes easier said then done . #3 they both can be good to Stellar,example one might have a better trigger ,One might need forend hanger work , then again they both could be fine ,it's like rolling dice as and example . #2 I'm guessing the hex would be stiffer,but I'm guessing,to me it's Prettier but that's just me 🤔. #1they should both be tied here , I've reloaded for one Ruger #1-b in 7 mm Remington magnum and One 1885 Browning 270 WSM ,both were stock factory rifles, the 7mag easily shot sub 1 Moa at 100 yards and the Owner was very happy ,bbl length was 26 inch's. The 270wsm ,1885s bbl was 28 inch and was octagon and it shot fantastic with extra speed because of the extra bbl length . Ps I did not see the groups from the 7 mag. One thing I have read is that Ruger and Browning have from time to time put Custom barrels on their factory rifles and never told the buying public. Maybe someone from our great forum can help me on that statement . Cheers!!!

The Browning has a better trigger, you could get an aftermarket for the Ruger, I have both Moyers and A set Canjar trigger in my parts box one of my No.1s has a Kepplinger set trigger that is nice as well

I have two Browning single shots, one in 22-250 and one in 45-70. Both are great. In Louisiana we have a primitive season so the rifle needs to be >35cal, and exposed hammer single shot. My Browning 45-70 is the one. Can't imagine how anyone can think of that rifle as primitive! Regarding triggers. My first high power rifle was an run out SMLE 303 (still have it). The trigger had creep, several rough spots, and lots of over travel: lots of lash. That trigger taught me how to deal with any trigger. They all shoot fine if you FOCUS on the target and squeeze (never pull) the trigger between my thumb on the top of the stock behind the action and my trigger finger.

Had a Browning i 25-06. Loved the feel of it and it loved 100 gr noslers. used it for antelope and coyote here in WY.
There were clearance issues with the hammer and scope, put a shoe on the hammer and issue solved. Should have kept that rifle, but there is always another pretty girl on the shelf at the gun store calling your name.