Round Steaks

the blur

As always, I hate eating round steaks. They are suited for dog food. I tried everything to tender them up. Sitting in milk for a week. Sitting in olive oil for a week. Pounding them with a hammer.

I think next elk, I will just grind them into burger. Not much else you can do with them...

Anyone have any luck with round steaks ?

Ya they can be tough but if you learn a bit about what breaks town tissue to tenderize a steak you can improve.

One option is to truly dry age. This will involve getting some dry age vacuum bags and dry ageing the round in your fridge for 30 days before trimming the bark and slicing into steaks. Another option is salting for 24 hours before cooking to help flavor and tenderize. This means salting to taste then letting them sit in the fridge for 24 hours. Another option is to blend a pineapple skin and all then dump it over the steaks for 2-3 hours to let the enzymes in the pineapple break down the steak. Rinse, season and grill.

Roasts and jerky are also other great options for the round.

My wife makes awesome beef stew using round steak. Cooks about 8 hours and it becomes tender and really good. I was never a beef stew person until she did that. Now we have a use for the round steak. She has also done fajitas in the oven with round steak that are pretty good.

As always, I hate eating round steaks. They are suited for dog food. I tried everything to tender them up. Sitting in milk for a week. Sitting in olive oil for a week. Pounding them with a hammer.

I think next elk, I will just grind them into burger. Not much else you can do with them...

Have you tried a slow cooker? Season them and put them in slow cooker and pour a can of undiluted cream of mushroom soup on top. Cook on low for about 4 hours depending on how thick they are cut. It comes out fork tender and covers a pile of mashed potatoes nicely :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220110-075422_DuckDuckGo.png
    Screenshot_20220110-075422_DuckDuckGo.png
    227 KB · Views: 68

How long do you age your elk meat before wrapping and packing? Hang in a crafty place 5-8 degrees Celsius for 3 weeks. If ventilation is difficult use a fan at low setting. Your round steaks will be yummy and tender!

This is a strange statement by the OP to me. I live on a farm and have our own beef slaughtered every year. I have always thought elk round steaks and deer round steaks were generally more tender than beef round steaks. Also, we can't count all muscles within the leg as "round steaks" they are all different in their fat content, muscle structure, and therefore tenderness. In deer I use certain muscles for steaks and others for jerky or grinding.

As others have said, in one way or another, it is all about how you process it and prepare it. Aging does help, however, not as much as with fatty, marbled meat. Pre salting is huge. Medium rare is more tender than well done. If you like it well done, you must cook low and slow. I make pot roast out of most of the hams. Of course if you like it as burger, there is nothing wrong with that. It is all about what you enjoy.