Rl 25 .243 ai

Greg Duerr

I ran into two lbs of RL25 the other day and was wondering if this powder might work in the .243AI I see that it is a little faster than H1000 but cant find any info of a good starting load using the 90gr Bullet.

Any one have access to reloading info that might show the max load in a .243 and the 90gr bullet or any experiance you might have using it ..

Greg

My rifle has a 24in barrel will that be long enough in the .243AI using the slow powders, that question was presented to me and I did not now how to answer it.

Too slow. RL 19, 4831, 4350. You've got another thread where you're ready to sell the over priced H4350. Did you try different primers with it? Seems you're stuck on one bullet, too,,, 90g. If a 90g. bullet is what you think you want to shoot, try a bullet from a different bullet maker! You didn't mention whether the barrel is factory or a custom tube. Lots of factory barrels are nothing but junk! (now I'll here from those who have a factory that'll shoot in the .100s and .200s!)

isnt rl25 faster than h1000? Yet I see loads for H1000 in the berger manual I have a PacNor SM barrel 24 inches #4 1x9 My rifle would not work with the 95gr berger as I could not get within .174 from the lands. So im trying the Nosler 90gr ballistic Tip and so far with H4831 48.5gr my groups were right at .545. Monday i will be starting out seating my bullet .035 off and working closer at .005 back to .000 If i can get under .500 I will stop looking and start shooting Marmonts and Jackrabbits.

Greg

Just because a powder is listed for a specific cartridge in a manual doesn't mean it's the best choice. The barrel will pick what it likes best. I'm shooting a 6mm A.I. and load 87-100g with IMR4831 (I don't load many that weigh less than 100g). When I move up to the 107g MK and the 115g DTAC I load RL22. These seem to provide me with the best combination of accuracy and velocity, and my 6mm A.I. case has greater capacity than your .243 A.I. Hence, my suggestion to use a faster propellant than RL25. RL25 usualy finds its place in cartridges like the 7mm STW or larger.

I have a 243ai I bought a month ago came with load data it shoots really good!! my gun likes rs magnum fed210 and 51 grns and a 105 grn berger vld I don't have a crony (yet) but what would you expect it to be? its a 27 in Krieger 1-8.. I was guessing around 3050?

There seems to be a real big problem with my rifle.......Saturday I started with seating bullets .035 off with 48.5gr of H4831 and working down in seating depth to .000 in .005 increments. I can understand a $2000 rifle shooting groups around 1.000 but I had groups that went 1.756, 1.548, then down to .891 then back up to 1.326, then down to .504 then back up to .897. I have had three Remington 700's all factory rifles. One in .280, .243, and 7mm-08 none of them shot this poorly. From one bullet weight to another ............they all shot under 1.000. I had three CZ 527's in 22 Hornet and all shot great. The best one shot 30gr bergers in the .6's thats with no work done other than what came straight from the box.
Im going to send my V3 4.5-14 back to Leupold and see if the scope is OK...If it is Im just going to have to send it to a smith and have it checked out.
I'd bet that if I bought a new Remington 700 tomorrow straight from the box its going to shoot better than this rifle. Right now its hard for me to believe that by just switching to another bullet that all of this would dissapear.
Who knows maybe he put on a 1x12 barrel....................??

If this is normal when having a Smith put together a rifle that cost $2000 then for me, the price is not worth it when the rifle that this one once was shot 120gr Ballistic tips at .7's Where I live you might have to wait four to five years to get a deer tag, so I had it turned into a Varmint Rifle that I could use on Deer if and when I got a tag..............thus the .243AI.
Over 300 bullets down the barrel and still it is the worst shooting rifle I have ever had............
Im going to try RL 19 with the 90gr and maybe someother bullets if I can find any...........but with a 1x9 twist this rifle should be shooting a whole lot better than it is ...................

Wow your sort of throwing a lot out there but still don't say much.

Yes switching bullets sometimes helps. Some rifle just don't like certain bullets, powder etc.

Berger bullets like to jump more than you think. You never mention any details.

I am just throwing up info since your ranting didn't really tell anybody anything except your rifle is broke, your sending your scope back, and your personal experience with factory Remingtons. Let me bet my beagle's left nut, you had some bad cornflakes this morning…:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.