Rino 655t

2manytrucks

I'm considering buying a couple of these, I hunt with my dad and I'd like to keep track of where he is. Any reasons not to get em? Thanks

Son gave me a 530HCx 3 years ago. He has one also and it is real nice to be able to see where we both are at anytime....... It really is good in CO as we hunt around the MT one at 9,500 and the other at 10k. Think about that. I'm 70 and If I stop replying he can see where I am and can come straight to me.
We never needed it but we got it. Also , I got a 911 button....SPOT!

Get the 530HCx or the newer thingey...you won't be sorry.

Thanks for the reply, I actually just picked em up a week ago. Very happy so far, acquires signal very quickly fairly detailed map, radio works great and weather radio is a BIG plus. Only complaint is the 100k isn't routable and at exclusively high zoom levels it shows the roads a little off, this is the map and not the devices fault. I have also downloaded some free maps to remedy a little. Would definitely buy again.

I was all set to buy a 655T so I could use Lens BLM map SD cards but when I finally got my hands on one I had to laugh. It's way too big to fit in a pocket - I don't know where you'd carry it - and the clip was designed by a moron. Being a die hard Garmin user for over 20 years, I predict a re-design coming soon. In the mean time, I'm buying a 530.

I've got a 610 and a 655t--wish I'd bought two of the latter--or the 650. They do communicate as advertised and are the quickest to fix position I've ever seen. Prior to these I had a 76csx; both of these Rinos are several leaps ahead of that one.

The clip certainly has made things difficult, but both Garmin and Ram make mounting systems. The 610 wont accept the Li-lion battery pack; it only runs on AA batteries. It's also "thicker" than the 655t and therefore more cumbersome, but this is about the 655t...

I accidently found that the metal clip has a unintended advantage: it locks nicely in my 4' protractor levels cutouts and makes a superb pointing tool installing satellite dishes!

My hunting buddy and I use the Rino 530HCx. We had an opportunity to buy the touch screen models last year but choose the 530's because they are more easily used with hunting gloves. It is a little thing but important. While I enjoy using touch screen technology on my iPhone and iPad, in our opinion(s) the 530's are made for hunters. It is a pain in the butt to pull off your gloves virtually every time you use the radio/gps features.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.