rings vs one-piece and spacing questions!

naturefox

Hi!
I´ve got some questions regarding mounting options for a riflescope.

We (a couple of friends and I), had a discussion, and could not agree upon the best way of doing things. I`m sure it`s been debated before, but still beating the horse;

On a 338 lapua with integrated rail on the action (yes, it should be stiff). Mounting a fairly large, long bodied scopes like nightforce, kahles etc.

Would a short but stiff one piece mount (spuhr, GDI etc.) be preferred over separate rings that can be spaced further out? A lot of the one-piece mounts are very stiff, but clamp the scope close to the center.

Some of us lean towards this, while others point out the benefits of moving the contact points as far back and forward as possible to reduce stress and vibrations on the scope, and thus, separate rings would be better?

What do you all think? :rolleyes:

Hi!
I´ve got some questions regarding mounting options for a riflescope.

We (a couple of friends and I), had a discussion, and could not agree upon the best way of doing things. I`m sure it`s been debated before, but still beating the horse;

On a 338 lapua with integrated rail on the action (yes, it should be stiff). Mounting a fairly large, long bodied scopes like nightforce, kahles etc.

Would a short but stiff one piece mount (spuhr, GDI etc.) be preferred over separate rings that can be spaced further out? A lot of the one-piece mounts are very stiff, but clamp the scope close to the center.

Some of us lean towards this, while others point out the benefits of moving the contact points as far back and forward as possible to reduce stress and vibrations on the scope, and thus, separate rings would be better?

What do you all think? :rolleyes:

My friend has a BEAST and used a Spur to mount it. He is pleased with it. I personally like my base to as wide as possible so I usually use heavy duty rings and space them as far as possible to have as much strength as possible. I had a scope slip on me once out in the field and it was a terrible feeling NOT being sure at what you shoot at. I vowed to NEVER go through that again. If you feel comfortable with a one piece base use it. I can see the benefit of having a one piece when taking your scope from one rifle to another.
JMO

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.