Ring Height?

Yes, the down side is that you really don't know until you try them.

An option is to order from Optics Planet and either a) return them and get highs, or b) order both and return the ones that are the wrong size. Your call. I have enough rifles and spare rings to use as mock-ups that I can usually figure it out before I order but we all get surprised on occasion.

lol yes, those surprises are definitely thrown at us every once and a while. I will probably just order both.

Again thanks for the insight!

Dr Vette & All,

Thanks for all the 1st hand info- you guys are very generous with your time in explaining this to those of us not so familiar with the MOA base issues. I'm new to shooting beyond 600 so haven't had to think about this until now.

I'm mounting a Monarch with a total of 34 MOA internal adjustment on a Savage in 7mm RM, and am realizing that if the zero at 100 or 200 eats up the first 10 MOA of the scope with level bases then I'll proably need a 20 MOA boost in the mounting setup to go out to 1000 yards +. (Ballistics charts say 26 MOA @ 1K)

But of equal concern is how far back I can mount the scope. I don't want to have to crane forward to get a proper sight picture yet (without having mounted it yet), it seems like I can't mount it back far enough if I use standard 2 piece Burris or Leupold rings/bases. Any ideas about how to remedy this?

Extended (or reversible) bases.

Most companies make them, and then move the ring mount point for the front ring to a location behind the two mount screws, i.e. toward you. This usually gives you enough room to slide it back a bit and get a better fit. I have these on a couple of rifles, they work fine.

They are available for your Savage as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.