ring height

milcol

I have a 4.5x14x50 30mm scope going to mount on a Remington 700 5R 24"barrel with 20MOA rail, wish to put a set of mark4 30 medium rings, or would I be better off with the high, trying to keep scope as close to barrel as possible.
Thanks

I have a 4.5x14x50 30mm scope going to mount on a Remington 700 5R 24"barrel with 20MOA rail, wish to put a set of mark4 30 medium rings, or would I be better off with the high, trying to keep scope as close to barrel as possible.
Thanks
You don't mention what 20 MOA rail you have, but I've used the EGW and Weaver 20 MOA extended rails on several rifles, and they add ~0.45" of height over the top of the receiver.

I'm guessing you'll actually be able to use the lowest rings you can get. I just mounted a 30 mm tube, 50 mm objective scope on a LA Rem 700 ADL with Weaver 20 MOA extended scope base and Warne low rings, and there was still a decent gap. I also have a 30mm tube, 50 mm objective scope, and Vortex low rings on an EGW 20 MOA extended rail on my Savage LRH, and again, there's plenty of clearance (too much in fact).

Depending on your rail, if it's extended picatinny or weaver type, you can also cut off the front overhang, past the last screw hole, with a hacksaw. Clean it up with a file or sand paper, and hit the bare aluminum with some matte black rattle can for a nice looking finish. I can't imagine ever needing the slots that extend past the front screws, and this will give you more clearance for the scope bell if you need to slide the scope rearward for proper eye relief. It's what I do to all the EGW and Weaver extended, one piece, rails I've installed for myself and others.

You can also get a pretty good idea by measuring the clearance along the barrel. Lay a rigid, flat object on top of the rail that overhangs the barrel, and then use calipers to measure from the top of the barrel to the bottom of the object in a few places in the vicinity of where the scope bell will lie. Measure the outside diameter of your objective bell, divide by 2, then subtract the height measurements you got. That's the minimum ring height (center line measured) you'll need to clear the barrel.

Be aware that some ring manufactures give the height as top of the rail to the bottom of the scope tube, others will give it as the top of the rail to the scope's centerline. If it's bottom of the ring, make sure to add half the tube diameter to the measurement to give you the center line of the scope.

The rail is a Badger 20moa
Find your rail on their website, and confirm the height. I looked at a couple Remington ones and they seem to be 0.31", but you should confirm your exact model.

Just measured my 44 mm objective scope, and has a 51.5 mm outside diameter. Assuming your 50 mm has the same amount of extra metal, then it would be 57.5 mm outside diameter.

57.5 mm = 2.264"
2.264"/2 = 1.132"
1.132" - 0.31" = 0.822", which is the minimum ring height (to centerline) you'd need to clear the barrel.

0.822" = centerline ring height

Leupold appears to be giving their ring heights as centerline, so the Mark 4 Medium ring (0.84") theoretically will give you enough clearance.

I'd highly recommend measuring yourself though, as 0.02" isn't a lot of wiggle room.

Also, if you aren't willing to cut off your Badger Ordnance rail, as described above, you may need the high rings to get clearance between the front of the rail and the objective, depending on how far back you have to mount it for eye relief.

9EC2157A-57C9-47E1-AF52-CD38FEB176BC.jpeg
Weaver rail, mark 4 mediums on a 56 mm nf shv light varmint barrel.

Find your rail on their website, and confirm the height. I looked at a couple Remington ones and they seem to be 0.31", but you should confirm your exact model.

Just measured my 44 mm objective scope, and has a 51.5 mm outside diameter. Assuming your 50 mm has the same amount of extra metal, then it would be 57.5 mm outside diameter.

57.5 mm = 2.264"
2.264"/2 = 1.132"
1.132" - 0.31" = 0.822", which is the minimum ring height (to centerline) you'd need to clear the barrel.

0.822" = centerline ring height

Leupold appears to be giving their ring heights as centerline, so the Mark 4 Medium ring (0.84") theoretically will give you enough clearance.

I'd highly recommend measuring yourself though, as 0.02" isn't a lot of wiggle room.

Also, if you aren't willing to cut off your Badger Ordnance rail, as described above, you may need the high rings to get clearance between the front of the rail and the objective, depending on how far back you have to mount it for eye relief.

Installed the mark4 rings and scope all is good, ample clearance with the lens cover on, thanks to all for input.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.