Ring and base advice Kimber with NightForce

ThompsonPT

I just purchased a NightForce ATACR 4-16 x 50 scope. It has a 34mm tube. I'm replacing a LEUPOLD VX5HD 2.5-10 x 42 with a 30mm tube. This will go on a Kimber Hunter .308. I would like some first hand info for a set up similar for the best base and rings. I'm looking at ARC aluminum rings and been looking a NightForce one piece aluminum picatinny base but I'm open to other options if I feel like they are better. Any info on obtaining the optimum height to prevent contact with barrel would be appreciated as well. I've never mounted my own scope so this will be my first time and want to get it right the first time. Thanks in advance !

The NF base is fine, When it comes to bases there isn't a huge difference in any of them that I have ever seen as long as you stick to well known names and not the Chinese made ones on fleabay.

As far as rings pick a well known brand that you like the looks of and go for it. Arc, NF, Hawkins, Seekins, Badger, APA, Spuhr and I'm sure I'm missing a few others all make great rings.

I have that same scope and it's been on a few different rifles and cleared fine with Hawkins lows .885.

Just my opinion .......I've owned Kimber 84m's since they started making them Montana with a 2- position safety.....
A 3-9 with a 1" tube is more than enough scope on a lightweight rifle.....

The Leupold I have on it now is perfect size. I mostly still hunt Whitetails in evenings. Most opportunities for mature bucks are at dusk dark. For this reason I wanted a scope with an illuminated reticle, a little more power, and superior resolution to give me a few more minutes. The 4-16 x 50 ATACR is built like a tank but it's only 13.1 inches long.

A set of our Medium Height Ultra-Light Tactical rings would fit well. You may be able to get away with Lows if you want a close fit to the barrel. Lows are .885" tall and Medium is 1.0". Always good to give it a measure if you can.

Those 34s are in stock too at a few places.

Nightforce bases are great too!

I've used the A.R.M.S #22 rings & mounts on my NF and never had a problem with zero's or taking them off and on they've always kept the zero spot on. Another is Talley rings & mounts, and I'm a big fan of Leupold Std and Tac rings and mounts. The nice thing about these days is that there is a myriad of great products to choose from. Good luck... Cheers