rifle weight for this range shooting

ann brezinski

how much does your rifles weigh for this kind of shooting?
Darrel casell tells of his 338 on the 416 at 67 lbs.
he has shot elk and mule deer at up to 2000 yards.
gary b

For this kind of shooting, heavier is better.

67lb is heavy but in the realm.

Spec for my 50 DTC is 38lb. I have not checked it.

I think my 375 HE will come in around the 20s'

My 338 Edge is 16lb+

@ 67 pounds it's not a rifle it's an artillery piece . I bet he just stumbles from the truck to a good spot 10 feet away . I have one at 17 pounds .

Darryl Cassle's game harvests are quite questionable, and controversial... he is a local guy that shot the early offering of the .338 on the .416 case. Those rifles were built on the heavy gun benchrest platform.

My ELR rifles are around 21 lbs.

Darryl Cassle's game harvests are quite questionable, and controversial... he is a local guy that shot the early offering of the .338 on the .416 case. Those rifles were built on the heavy gun benchrest platform.

My ELR rifles are around 21 lbs.

Well Darryl did in fact have the first 338x416 (imp) in that valley.
We all heard lots of great things and were shown the gun, but never were actually shown how it performed.
As others slowly began to obtain 338s, for some unknown reason they never quite measured up to Darryls claims. Maybe the guns just weren't heavy enough. lol

Darryl Cassel is a member of this forum from Pennsylvania and uses a special return to battery tripod to hold the heavy gun. As far as I know that setup was responsible for the longest elk kill ever mentioned on this forum. As Joel said he and his methods are controversial. I personally learned a lot from reading the things he wrote about.

Here is a link to an article he wrote for another forum.

The Making of a Long Range Hunter Written By: Darryl Cassel

This is one of my rifles that has killed several antelope beyond 1000 yards. It weighs 18 pounds. The stock is by Joel Russo and a thing of great beauty. The metal is a trued Mauser action with a 30 inch 1-8 twist Spencer barrel chambered for minimum SAAMI 240 WBY.

Attachments

• 240p2.jpg
    240p2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 27
Idaho put a limit on firearms for hunting at total weight of 16 lbs. Otherwise guys like Darrly would be having their artillery air dropped in. LOL.

Like all sports, ya gotta have some rules to play by or else it's not a sport.

My long range rifles weigh around 14 lbs.

thank you for your imput on subject.i know that this may not appeal to many people about shooting past 1000 yards but you must say I have seen groups shot at Whitehorse sportsman club and they are under 1/3 moa with a 6 mm dasher and this tech is usfuf for building the special guns you need to do this kind of hunting at the longer ranges.
gary b

Idaho put a limit on firearms for hunting at total weight of 16 lbs. Otherwise guys like Darrly would be having their artillery air dropped in. LOL.

Like all sports, ya gotta have some rules to play by or else it's not a sport.

My long range rifles weigh around 14 lbs.

That's a rifle used to take game?

What about target rifles?

the rifles for the 1000 yard matches weigh are ,light gun 17 lbs and the heavy are max at I believe 100 lbs.calibers range from 22 to the 338.alot shoot a 6 mm on the 6 mm br case on a improved form called the dasher.but from what the gunwerks people tell me they likethe 6.35 on the 284 Winchester case and the 7 mm on the lrm case.but the shoot to 1400 yards.
gary b

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.