Review, GPO Passion 12.5x50 HD

firstcoueswas80

O
er the summer of 2017, I approached Mike Jensen, the owner and CEO of German Precision Optics, and told him I would like to do a research and review of their new, GPO Passion HD 12.5x50 binoculars. I used these binoculars (binos) through scouting, helping others, and hunting for myself for deer and elk during the 2017 season. Here are my findings;

When UPS finally made their way to my home to drop off these binos, I was very excited to get them out of the package. The box is nice, the case is nice blah blah blah… who cares, lets get to the good stuff right?

I, personally compared these binos directly to my personally owned Swarovski 12x50 EL's, and my 10-15x50 Leica Duovids. Others who observed these binoculars have, or had used Leica Trinovids, Meopta Meostars, Vortex Razors, and various models of Swarovskis.

Initial impressions are important, and these did not disappoint. Solidly built and light weight. One small detail that I really was impressed and pleased with was the positive and solid "clicks" between different positions of the eyecups.

Since I am a hunter, and not a scientist, I did what can best be qualified as a purely field review. I didn't break out resolution charts, stare at license plates etc. I looked at critters. I looked at critters a lot. I looked at a lot of different critters. And, possibly most important, I looked at critters in a lot of different light. First light, last light, and middle of the day. I looked at does, fawns, javelina, nice bucks, and little bucks. I looked at critters as close as 200 yards, and as far as ~2000 yards.

Since nobody really cares how a binocular looks at optimum light, (because they are all great at that time of day), I will fast forward to the non-optimal, yet most important times of day.

Both dawn and dusk can be summed up rather quickly. Outstanding, given the class they are in. Are the Swarovski EL's? No, but what is? Are they 95-97% of what my Swarovskis are? Absolutely. My best guess is that the GPO Passion HD 12.5x50's are THE premium binocular in their given class. They out classed the Vortex Razor, The Meopta, and by one hunter of mine, were chosen over his Leica Trinovids. After one look through the GPO Passion HD 12.5x50's, he hung up his old Leicas for the new GPO binos for the next 5 days of his coues deer hunt in Southern Arizona. (Where he killed a very nice buck, I might add).

In short, one must ask, what is five minutes worth? For the average Joe, the GPO Passion HD 12.5x50's will fit your wallet, and your hunting style just fine. The GPO Passion HD 12.5x50's are clear, bright and about the perfect weight for hand held or tripod mounted use.

I am sold on mine, and will be recommending them to anyone and everyone I come across that is in the market.

I know this is a three year old topic, but do your original impressions still stand valid or have your thoughts on the GPO binoculars changeI know this is a three year old topic, but do your original impressions still stand valid or have your thoughts on the GPO binoculars changed?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.