retirement state

lineworker81

I would like to get some opinions. I have 20 years left before i can retire and i know a million things could happen before then. Ive alway had this dream of buying an acre or two in a state fairly close to some public hunting land and building me a small home to visit. Id like to buy the land now and set on it till later on then i could build. Id love to have a place to hunt big game like elk mule deer and antelope. Without doing endless hours of research which state would be the best for a nonresident to do something along those lines? Opinions would be appreciated o and id love to do some good flyfishing for trout also.

Thank u for your reply. The heat doesnt bother me at all. I havent been exposed to any temps below -2 or -3 and i didnt enjoy it much i dont mind 20,s and 30,s at all. I kno it seems way to early but im just tryin to think ahead and plan as best as i can. It never hurts to be prepared. Im not sure about which states u can just buy tags or have to draw.

What FearNoWind said.

New Mexico fits.
Northern Arizona (I40 line)

Thank you sir. I love this forum its great to be able to think out loud and get others opinions who have been there and done that. Im goin to el paso soon so that will give me an idea of new mexico i hope. Where i live now all i get to hunt is whitetail and small game.

El Paso is not a good example for the state of New Mexico. Drive up to Ruidoso. The southeast corner of New Mexico is desert. It is beautiful in it's own way. It just not what you are looking for. FearNoWind could this be narrowed even more. How about low cost of living.

Southern Idaho is close but gets pretty cold.

I have driven, hunted and hung out in the areas I suggest.

Anywhere along I40 and the north side of it. From Kingman AZ to Oklahoma City, OK and as far north as even with the Colorado border. Kansas and Missouri work too.

You could move somewhere close to Raton, NM and have the NRA Whittington Center near by.

Further south, The area around Silver City, NM to Roswell ain't bad either. Just be sure to stay north of I10. Closer to state route 82 or 380

Varied terrain, from plains to mountains. Your choice. Varied levels of civilization from dense cities to very rural. Many "retirement" type communities. Varied types of hunting.

If you are "building a small home to visit" and not to be your permanent residence, you will be losing out on the best part of your plan. That is the ability to get resident status, with lower license costs and a much better odds to draw good tags.

So ive been looking at the states suggested and arizona and new mexico look awesome i didnt realize the hunting oppurtunitys that arizona provided almost half the state is public land. And new mexico has alot as well. Then i look at some pictures of idaho that place is beautiful. Im sure the winters in southern idaho are harsh? What about hunting in utah its kinda in between idaho and arizona? I feel like i could love any of these states. I dont want to be in a highly populated area but would like to be within 30 min from the grocery store. I said id like to have a home to visit but as think about it more id rather make it my permanent residence and keep my home here and just come back to visit. I think that would be best cause of the possibilitys dok7mm mentioned. Id hate to have an awesome place and have to pay a fortune each year for tags and then miss out on maybe the draw tag of a lifetime.

Here's a thought.
You've got twenty years.
Take one week in February and, starting at I40, drive north over I25 to Sheridan Wyoming.
Take another week in August and repeat the trip.
Next year, do the same thing starting in Idaho Falls and driving south along I15 - one week in February, another in August.
That will help you settle on a latitude that suits your preferences.
Once you've identified the latitude, start real estate hunting along that belt.

Thanks guys i think i will try those drives and see how i like it. It will be a great chance to see what i like and kinda get a feel for the areas. I love a good adventure

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.