Remove Stock---will it change zero

crackher

Hey guys,
I am a total noobe to long range. I just picked up a very slightly used Rem 700 Police in .223 26" barrel, HS Stock, etc. I have been an avid hunter for years, and after missing a shot on a distance moose I felt it was time to start getting better with my long range shooting. Plus this year i have secured a couple of varmint grounds..

my question is this;
If I remove the stock in order to clean the gun more thoroughly will it change zero? If so how do you guys clean your firearms afger shooting in the rain/bad weather.

Thanks,

P.S.
You guys (posters) write about some really amazing $h!t thanks for everything hopefully i can post some more useful item in the future.

I always re-check my zero after removing the stock. Most of the time, POI will not change or change only slightly, but there are lots of variables, and I would hate for something to get way out of whack and not know it. If my rifle gets very wet while hunting, I will disassemble, dry, clean and check zero after I get home. Fortunately, I have never been hunting in such heavy rain, that I felt I had to remove the stock during a hunt.

Welcome aboard!!!

My way of becoming comfortable with the POI changing w/stock removal is to test it.

My Allen Mag's first fouling shot is further off (and that ain't much) than the first shot after removing and reinstalling the action.

The stock is pillar and skim bedded.

They 65 inch pounds, for pillars, is the torque number but I don't have a proper torque wrench. I have a strange notion that my allen wrench and fore arm are calibrated.:D

BYW, this is the only rifle I have that returns to Zero after stock removal.

crackher,
If you have a HS Precision stock,it is doubtful that your zero will change after you remove it,but as the other guys said it's a good idea to check.
I have 2 Rem 700 VSSF switch barrel rifles in 22-250 and 22-250 Ackley,which necessitates that I remove the stocks to change barrels.Neither rifle change their zero after this,if I remove the barrel that it is sighted for,and replace it,the zero stays the same.If I change to the other barrel there is always a slight difference in zero because of different barrel vibration from one to the other.
If you want consistency in your stocks bedding,never tighten your action screws more than 1/4-1/2 a turn past finger tight,this equates to about 65 inch/lbs.DO NOT USE 'T' Handle allen wrenches to tighten your action screws,EVER!Only use the 3"-3.5" bent allen wrenches!I screw the bolts in with the long end in the bolt to snug it up first,then I use the the short end in the bolt to bring it up to spec,as stated above.
MagnumManiac
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.