Remmy788 6mm, to build or sell?...

threejones

I just traded some work for an 788 in 6mm (less work than the gun is worth). It was made in 1977, and from what I've read it should be one of the better ones. I'd been wanting something in 6mm for a while, and this sort of fell into my lap, so I went for it. I know they've got a rep for good accuracy, but also some bolt issues etc. This one has been hunted with, but cared for very well. The guy didn't like it because the wood stock would push the barrel around when the humidity changed, and he hated re-sighting it every time he used it (I told him to channel the barrel and solve the problem, his responce was "you can do whatever the hell you want to it":D)

I thought I'd pick up a Boyds laminate stock (on sale for less than $100 right now) Shoot it a bit, then maybe a Hart, Brux, etc barrel if I like it. I'm just not too sure if all the hassel is worth it. My Dad had one in 243 for years that he loved, and was one of the first center fires I ever shot, so I've got kind of a soft spot for the 788 already. However, funds are a bit limited for me this time of year. So if the build isn't worth it, I wouldn't be above selling it and putting the $$$ toward one of my other neglected sticks, or a new 6mm of some sort.

What'd ya'll think? Build? Keep it as a truck-gun? Sell it for some other toy? Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Thanx
Cody

Keep it !! maybe restock it. otherwise it will be a shooter.ive had a 788 in 22-250 that was a 1 holer. i did rebarrel mine with a 27" lother walther and an mpi stock and did trigger job on it. never should have sold it. if i was close id do a swap or sumthin for it

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.