Remington actions

marketello

I am entertaining the idea of haveing a rifle built, and if i do I would take the advice of many here and start with a rem700 action.
Are all the Remington 700 actions the same quality?

ADL, BDL, Varmit, which one should I look for, which should I stay away from. How old should the action be preferablly?

Oh ya, did I mention I'm a southpaw?

Ideally, which is the best Remington 700 action to look for, I'm in no hurry, I still have gramp's savage 99 to hunt with while I look. I know the lefty action might take a while to find.

Thanks for all the help and patience.

Greenhorn,

All the Rem 700 actions are the same in basic design. The only real difference is the bottom metal work and how the mag box attaches or sits under the action.

My personal favorite for building my extreme accruacy big game rifles is the Rem 700 ADL in which ever bolt face suits your needs best.

I like these over the BDL models simple because the stock on the ADL has the solid bottom and is much stiffer and more rigid then the open bottomed BDL. This does make a difference in accuracy and consistancy.

Age wise, its hard to tell, I have seen good dimensional actions in both old and new and have seen bad ones in bothas well.

One they have been full accurized they are all the same top quality so I really do not waste to much time looking for a specific action.

If you are going to build an extreme range rifle on the 700 I would recommend converting it to single shot by fitting a solid bottom plate to the action. The ones I use perfectly match the bottom contour of the action and greatly increase the bedding area of the bottom of the action if the rifle is to be bedded in a conventional manor.

If a Barrel Bedding V-Block System is to be used, this does not matter much as the entire action will be free floated anyway.

If you will be building one of these single shots, any Rem 700 action will perform great once it is accurized.

Your best bet will probably be to find a used BDL in left hand.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Rem 700 ADL in which ever bolt face suits your needs best

Could you elaborate on that, what is meant by "which ever bolt face"?

I will be using the rifle for hunting, also, so i really don't want to make a single shot. I'll start looking for a used ADL, and see if I can find a lefty. It would be tough to have to buy a new rifle just for the action.

Greenhorn,

What I ment was it depends on what case head size you will be building on.

If your building a 280 AI for example, any standard length Rem 700 with an '06 bolt face is what you want.

If your building a rifle around a belted Magnum or a RUM round, you will want to look for a Rem 700 with a magnum bolt face. In the ADL I believe your only options will be the 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Or if you are not opposed to the Savage, have the option of changing bolt faces???
rolleyes.gif

I have tried to deal with Remington several times, but they are so snubbish that I have decided not to try anymore. working on a Kimber 84 action at a good price. I have no idea about a Kimber but you find out by tring it. Anyone else tried to accurize one?
confused.gif

The M7 is nearly 1/2" shorter than the M700, most of that demension is taken from the gap between the trigger group and the box mag. Bolt body dia etc are the same.

Shawn

...model 7 action is a little shorter at the rear scope base area... only reason to prefer the "7" over the "700" would be for it's compactness and a littler lighter weight...otherwise go with the 700...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.