Remington 9.5 Magnum primers

Sasquatch

I'd like to thank some of the guys on this sight for opening my eyes to the fact that not all primers are created equal. After two firings with well under max loads with my RUM the remington primers were very loose going in the brass. tried some CCI's and they feel the same in the fired cases as they do in the brand new cases I bought when I thought the others were shot.

now I just need to take the time to try out the federals and maybe some of the match grade mag primers:p

Just a note as you wander around trying primers - different primers have different characteristics. Somewhere I have indexed a site that rates them by temperature. Some may not give you good consistent ignition with a larger case and you will be plagued by the occaisonal "low" round. It is difficult to determine whether the occaissional "low" round is you or the components.

Just something to keep in mind.

I'll second that Bob.
I used to use federal match 215's in my 7mm stw. Extreme spread ws dropped significantly by switching to 210 and then to wlr primers. The ignition was just to violent on the 215's to ignite the H1000 (in my gun) and produce small extreme spreads.
They recommend using the large 215 in case of hang fires, I have never had this happen but wont say that it will. I suspect in extremely cold climates the 215 would need to be used and I would but here in Georgia where it doesnt get that cold the 210 and wlr primers work better.

I plan on testing on the different types. They will all be "magnum" primers for this 300 RUM. It gets quite chilly during elk season, and that's when it will matter most that I get good ignition. two years ago I had a WLR primer dud during an elk hunt in my '06. Now I don't use them.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.