remington 700, my first build

my82cam

Well, I have a remington 700 buckmaster edition that I am wanting to do some custom work to it. So far I have a bell and carlson tan and black stock, timney trigger, talley 1 piece rings and tomorrow I am buying a zeiss conquest 4.5-14 with target turrets from another member. On a good day, the gun will shoot a half inch group, on a hot day it will shoot 3 or 4 inch group at 100 yards with handloads. I have been talking with Redhawk firearms, and I believe I am going to send them my rifle and let them square it up and put a new barrel on there. I want the barrel to be fluted and also have the bolt fluted as well. Right now the gun is in 30-06, I am wondering what other 30 caliber options I have for the gun, is this a good time to change caliber to something else that would be better? planning on using the 168 berger vld. I normally white tail deer hunt, but shots can range from 20 yards to 500 or 600 yards. I thought I had decided to keep it 06 but if there is something that is in fact better, I may go with that. thanks guys

There is nothing wrong with the good ole 06, its been around for 106 years, probably isn't much that hasn't been harvested with it. If you want to leave it 30-06 and use 168 bergers I would put a 26" 12 twist tube on it in a number 5 contour about .75" at the muzzle. I reccomend Travis at RBrothers, Kevin at Montour county rifles, or Kirby Allen to do the work for you. If you switch calibers the 6.5-06, 6.5x284, 280rem, or 284win have better ballistics. But the new 168 berger otm from the 06 in a 12 twist 26" tube can get you in the 3100fps range, with its .519bc it can be stretched pretty far. If you're using 168 hunting vlds in a 10 twist you are way over stabilizing them with around a 3.2 stability factor, all is reccomended is a 1.4 and anything over 1.0 is stable. Good luck it'll be fun which ever way you decide.

A 1:12 will stabilize up to a 190 in the hunting vlds and in most cases the 208amax when pushed hard, also lots of folks get good results with that twist and 200 sierra game kings, but yes it works good with 180 sst's or nbt's. An 11 twist is the happy medium it will stabilize anything that should ever try to be pushed by an 06.

I reccomend staying with the standard 1:10 twist. It will stabilize the 168 and any of the heavier bullets you want to try. the 30-06 is an awesome round. ad you can buy ammo for it anywhere so if you went on a hunt and forgot ammo or it was lost in the airport you could easily pick up a box somewhere.
Another very viable option in my opinion is the 300 wsm, it will gain you some velocity. and is a very powder efficient round.

I reccomend staying with the standard 1:10 twist. It will stabilize the 168 and any of the heavier bullets you want to try. the 30-06 is an awesome round. ad you can buy ammo for it anywhere so if you went on a hunt and forgot ammo or it was lost in the airport you could easily pick up a box somewhere.

.+1

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.