Remington 700 machining work to lighten action?

zr600

whats the weight of a 700 stainless long action magnum? Can or does anyone machine done certain areas of the action to help lighten it? How much weight can be saved? Any advice would be great I already have the action.

Send it off to Kampfeld Customs. He does phenomenal work. You won't save too much weight though. Just to give you an idea, I recently sent off a long action magnum bolt to have everything possible lightened. I had the bolt handle webbed, the bolt fluted, the bolt shroud hexed, and I put a lightweight firing pin assembly and carbon fiber bolt knob on it. All together I shaved 2 ounces off the bolt. I think the only other thing you could do is to have the receiver slabbed, and I'm guessing that will only save another 2 ounces or so.

Sell it and buy a TI short action.

I shaved 4oz off my bolt w.: fluting bolt, CF knob, alloy bolt shroud, TI firing pin assembly.

You can slab the action body, not sure how much that will shave.

Is a couple ozs worth the money to have all that work done? Save your money like Lance said and buy a custom action you will be money ahead.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.