Remington 700 EtronX 6mm Creedmoor

Nimrodmar10

I took my new 6mm Creedmoor Remington 700 EtronX to the range for the first time yesterday to start the barrel break-in. I ran 25 rounds through it with an appropriate amount of barrel cleaning.
For those of you who aren't familiar with the Remington EtronX rifle, it is an electrically fired rifle built on the Sendero style platform. Remington manufactured these rifles from 2001 till 2003, I believe. Unfortunately they were ahead of their time and weren't well received by shooter who didn't trust an electronic rifle. We didn't even have flip phones yet.
It has a computer in the stock that controls the firing system. The normal brass is primed with an electrically activated primer, then loaded with a normal charge of powder and bullet. The trigger is just a micro switch, which I have adjusted to 1/2 pound. The safety is just an on-off switch which disconnects power to the firing pin. There are no moving parts in the bolt. The firing pin is just an anode that connects to the primer. There is almost no lock time since the electronic signal from trigger to primer is almost the speed of light.
I wanted one of these rifles when they were release but couldn't justify the $2000 price tag. They were only chambered in 22-250, 220 Swift and 243.I recently bought one in 22-250 along with 200 rounds of Factory ammo and 2000 EtronX primers. I bought a Bartlien 7.5 twist Sendero weight barrel and had my gunsmith thread and chamber it in 6mm Creedmoor. He also threaded the muzzle and I installed an Ace muzzle brake.
I loaded 5 rounds each with 38, 39, 40, 40.5 and 41.1 (my favorite load) grains of H4350, behind Berger 105 gr. Hybrids.
There was a 20-30 mph wind yesterday so shooting 100 yard groups was out of the question. I couldn't even measure velocities because I was afraid my Labradar would blow off the bench. I did get to see that as the powder weight increased, the group sizes shrank. When I fired the 41.1 grain loads, I tried to watch the wind and had about a half inch group, except for one flyer where the 100 yard wind flag fooled me. It put the group at about 3/4 of an inch. I'm looking forward to taking it back on a calmer day and see what it will do.
20230120_134125.jpg
20230120_134001.jpg

I had one. Okay rifle at best. Always sweet to be out hunting groundhogs and have the 9 volt battery die. Seeing as you had to remove the butt pad to change it, it was more of a pain than it was worth. the nice thing about them is you just change the bolt and trigger and it's a conventional primer gun again.
I'm hoping it will be more than an "Okay" rifle with a match grade barrel in a long range 6mm caliber with a custom hand loaded round. We'll see.

That's interesting, keep us updated, I've been fascinated by those rifles but never came across one forsale....and let's not start a discussion on if or if not that was a flier that opened your group to 3/4"...;;)) ( reference to Erik Cortina ).

. . . and a faster lock-time; and less vibration before the shot goes off. Both would contribute to better accuracy.

Not saying the system doesn't have its downsides, too. Especially if it is poorly made. But, still, in theory, electronic ignition could contribute to better accuracy.