Remington 700, brand new, won't fire

aurandbd

This is a bit of a head scratcher. I have a brand new Remington Model 700 VSSF II 204 gun, mounted the scope, took it to the range, and click. The gun would not fire. Not a dent in the primer. It appears that the bolt is moving forward on the trigger pull but the pin may not be travelling. I can see the pin when I pull the bolt.

This model does not have the J lock on it. Am I missing something basic? What can I check by myself? What action could I take to get it resolved by Remington or the dealer?

Thanks in advance,

Disassemble bolt and inspect and clean the innards thoroughly (take to gunsmith if you don't know how, or buy one of those Remington bolt disassembly devices, they are not expensive, and every Rem 700 owner should have one...disassembling a rem. bolt without one of those gizzies is a sonofabitch!).

Anyway, there may be some dried grease or other gunk in the firing pin channel.

hi,

I did the same mistake one year ago on 7mm.
the same simptomes. click, and no fire, no marks.
solution:
You inverted the screws from base rings by mistake.
are two sets: long and short ones.
the long ones for the back base ring, and the short ones for the receiver area.
actually your action is taching the screw and can not close completely. from here you do not have percution on primers.

Well I'm not ready to go postal on the dealer just yet. Spoke to Remington. Very helpful and considerate on the phone. Had the same idea regarding the screws on the scope. Will pull the scope today to test. Will let you know...

Solution

Thank you 300Rum and Remington. There was a large screw in the front which kept it from firing. Pulled the screws and it fired. Small screws now in the front - all is well.

Call support from Remington was pretty solid. Not much time at all to get a live contact and very patient. Thanks again on this most humbling of experiences.

What a Dumb Dumb:eek:
I am sure glad I got to read this post
before I made the same mistake:rolleyes:

Great call rum300 (another DD:p)
Ain't the internet a Great thing?

All in good fun guys;)

Thanks, Mike

Hi,

I'm glas I helped you guys.
You know, some people learn from other mistakes.
My self.... hmmmm in hard way sometimes.

Yes the internet can be a great source of information, if we do it right.

How I find this, from my experience, I come acros with this situation, 1 year ago, I install a scope on a brand new 7MM rifle, and I did not paid attention to the screws sizes.
I drowe 150km to the nearest range to setup the scope, and When I was ready to pull the trigger....NOTHING.
Came back home, remove all out of the barell, and I noticed the front screws come out to deep in the action path, blocking the action pin to close completedly.

But over all it was great to help you guys.

****, I've done that too: long screw on front scope mount that extends thru the receiver ring and impinges on the bolt lug. That can also happen if the front action screw is a little long.

Thank goodness for Mr. Dremel.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.