Rem 700 police 338LM trigger

Kaboom

I'm wondering what the small screw that's just in front of the bolt release tab for. I'm not wanting to move it till I know what it's for. Getting ready to adjust the factory trigger and just wanting to know before I strip it down. Thanks in advance!!!!

Tim
gun)

Thank you! I took it out last night and reset the engagement, back lash, & trigger pull got it where I want it but it seems about one out of 10 shots it has some creep before it breaks. I may just buy a Timney or jewel and replace it. I do like the wider trigger tho. thanks for your help! :)

This is very common on Remington triggers with the weight set too low. Creep should be consistant. If not it will feel light and crisp when it's only partially engaged. More spring tension will get it consistant and then you can reduce it with the sear engagement adjustment. The bottom for a unstoned or unpolished Remington trigger is usually over 3 pounds. Polishing all the engagement surfaces and using lighter spring will help you get down to around 2 pounds.

I backed the engagement screw back about 1/3 of a turn after it dropped the firing pin. The last thing I want is for this beast to fire when I shut the bolt. I may bump up the pull a little and see how it does. Which do you prefer for triggers, Timney is the only one I've used so far and have been happey with them but they were mostly on hunting guns. I'd like to use this one for hunting / target. Thanks again for your help.

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.