REM 700 factory trigger old style

bbru

I've tried to no avail to get the creep out of this trigger. I've followed all the steps and when I do, it locks the trigger up and I can't release the pin until backing out the screws…

Good advise. If you get the sear close enough to get all the creep out you can cause another problem, esp in the old guns that you had to take "off safe" to unload... the gun will sometimes, only sometimes fire when you take the safety off to unload it. I personally know of one transmission and a right front tire killed this way. Embarrassing and expensive.

I've tried to no avail to get the creep out of this trigger. I've followed all the steps and when I do, it locks the trigger up and I can't release the pin until backing out the screws…
Followed all the steps? The internet is full of terrible instructions on how to set a m700 trigger. It takes some adjustment of all 3 to get the most from the factory trigger along with a spring.

Buy an aftermarket trigger and be done with it. Trigger Tech, Bix&Andy or Timney, pick one. Jewell still in business?

You can get down to 2lbs - or less - safely with no creep or over travel. Timney will likely be least expensive but everybody has their preferences. All are safer and will give you a better pull than factory.

Put a Timney on my 788 (NOT the same trigger as a 700). $115 delivered (pre-Pandemic), 1.5 lbs with some HBN lube, zero creep. And the safety clicks on / off far more positively than the factory trigger. Bounce the recoil pad off the floor from 24 in, trigger holds AND pull is unchanged.