Reloading with a lathe?

dennisinaz

Do any of you use a lathe in brass prep? I have found that I need to spin every piece of new brass (I pretty much only use Lapua). I take about .0005-.0006" off the necks. This allows me to see if the brass is uniform and the cases straight too. I have to cull about 8% of the Lapua cases. My groups have improved dramatically with this. Getting ready for a coues whitetail hunt this week I went and checked the dope on a new scope. My groups were < .25 MOA out to 815 yards, the farthest target I have. Just ran 60 today and threw 2 cases away. I mark the most perfect ones. They are the money rounds. Don't think just because you buy expensive brass that it is ready to go.

I also run every case over and expander mandrel as this lets me neck turn and keeps my neck tension consistent. Always learning!

When I decided to try neck turning I couldn't justify buying a tool made for that when I have a lathe sitting right next to my loading bench. So yep, I tried it. But my reloading skills aren't quite up to noticing any difference yet. Hopefully this year I will have the time to devote to improving my process and start cranking out these amazing rounds I read about on here

I use my lathe for trimming, chamfering and neck turning. Makes it quick. 100 rum cases in under 10 minutes while the SBA is warming up. I use a mandrel like you. No donut

The little crow does it for trimming
The modified rcbs or km neck turner has a pilot
The chamfer tool of course centers too

Attachments

• 20200111_103021.jpg
    20200111_103021.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
Could you imagine the data and testing that could be done with a dedicated climate controlled 1000yd indoor shooting tunnel/range!?!

Kinda like the "Houston Warehow" article but on steroids. When I go out shooting, there are two kinds of 'shooting'. Equipment evaluation and practice. It's easier to evaluate and get accurate zeros in good conditions. Practice is far better in bad conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.