Reloading for the new .277 Fury from Sig

80k psi could be a barrel burner. I wonder if DOD has a requirement to drive industry to come up with a longer lasting barrel? Or maybe lower pressure training ammo?
Supposed to have a special coating in the barrel giving it >20k round before it is burner up. Not sure what the exact round count but we shall see how it works....

Supposed to have a special coating in the barrel giving it >20k round before it is burner up. Not sure what the exact round count but we shall see how it works....
If that is the case that will be pretty cool when that proliferates to the civilian market. Could make .375 CT and 26 Nosler barrels last a lot longer.

The military requirement was, at minimum, doubling of the barrel life over the M4. The M4 barrel is chrome lined and it's life is spec'ed at 6,000 rounds. It has been stated that a barrel life over 12,000 rounds has been achieved with the new nitrided barrels. SIG says there is something different/special/proprietary about the way it's done but who knows. There have been reports of "greater than 14,000 rounds" on test barrels in a couple media outlets.

One thing to note, the accuracy spec that an M4 has to meet is 4 MOA. Only when the weapon will not meet that spec when fired from a test fixture is the barrel considered shot out. Not sure what the accuracy spec for the new XM5 is but I suspect it's similar or possibly tighter.

Who knows what that means for a 1 MOA or better accuracy standard. Especially if it isn't one of SIG's special barrels.

FYI - The SIG Cross comes with a barrel made to the same specs they use for the military barrels.

The military requirement was, at minimum, doubling of the barrel life over the M4. The M4 barrel is chrome lined and it's life is spec'ed at 6,000 rounds. It has been stated that a barrel life over 12,000 rounds has been achieved with the new nitrided barrels. SIG says there is something different/special/proprietary about the way it's done but who knows. There have been reports of "greater than 14,000 rounds" on test barrels in a couple media outlets.

One thing to note, the accuracy spec that an M4 has to meet is 4 MOA. Only when the weapon will not meet that spec when fired from a test fixture is the barrel considered shot out. Not sure what the accuracy spec for the new XM5 is but I suspect it's similar or possibly tighter.

Who knows what that means for a 1 MOA or better accuracy standard. Especially if it isn't one of SIG's special barrels.

FYI - The SIG Cross comes with a barrel made to the same specs they use for the military barrels.
There you have it. I was spreading my own fake news. It's 12000 rounds not 20,000. Craig Miller seems to have this subject pretty well under control. I will stay in the truck...😁

When proofing don't they test well beyond "max" for a safety factor? If it tests out why would anyone think it wouldn't get approved.
I have not been able to see/monitor the cap and req documents but it would seem that it has JROC approval and is now a POR.

Where this will get interesting is in the NATO standardization process. No idea how that works.

I've been reloading 277 fury or 6.8 X51 SS case heads for 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. The 200 gr SMK 2900 fps in 308 and 150 gr SMK to 3000 fps in 6.5 Creedmoor. Three reloadings on hybrid cases with no loose primer pockets with low SDs and good accuracy. Its not recommended...but regular dies work fine. Cases and powder that works well are difficult to obtain. Definitely not recommended for the average guy...but it's there...and somewhat dangerous. Check headspace with gauges after firing. Do not over do it, I run 65,000 to 68,000 psi on regular brass ...so 80,000 is only a bit more... two different actions seem to be handling the extra pressure...but don't push it too far...stiff opening of action stop, regardless of case appearance. Or buy a magnum, it's easier.

I've been reloading 277 fury or 6.8 X51 SS case heads for 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. The 200 gr SMK 2900 fps in 308 and 150 gr SMK to 3000 fps in 6.5 Creedmoor. Three reloadings on hybrid cases with no loose primer pockets with low SDs and good accuracy. Its not recommended...but regular dies work fine. Cases and powder that works well are difficult to obtain. Definitely not recommended for the average guy...but it's there...and somewhat dangerous. Check headspace with gauges after firing. Do not over do it, I run 65,000 to 68,000 psi on regular brass ...so 80,000 is only a bit more... two different actions seem to be handling the extra pressure...but don't push it too far...stiff opening of action stop, regardless of case appearance. Or buy a magnum, it's easier.
What powder do you use to obtain that speed with the 200's?