reloading books

old fart

gents - are there any reloading books that covers most of these long range cartriges , standard and wildcats ? something that maybe a better insight of how you prep and load for this SPORT of Ultra long long range , which ones are the BEST - thanks

I'd pick up the new LEE manual. It's not geared tward long range by any means, but it does cover all the WSM's that were on the market at the time of press, and also covers some of the more popular wildcats, such as 6.5-284, etc. There's a lot more in there than I've seen in other manuals. The Sierra manual used to cover a lot of those cartridges too, I don't know if they do anymore or not. NOONE would cover the big wildcats as they're just too dangerous to publish data for. No 2 are alike. I had a 6.5x300 Wby that I coulda got killed with when using the data from the Sierra manual. I looked at a listed load and said, that seems insane, 90 gr H870 and a 142 bullet. I thought no way will I put that in there. I dropped to 80 grains. Well, that case still sits on my reloading table as an example of what coulda been. It liquefied that case I'm fortunate the gun didn't blow up. The primer pocket measures .244 ID. I dropped another 10, to 70 grains (after fixing the gun) and thought that was too hot. I did eventually end up around 72 gr of R25 @3400fps. I now make my own estimation of places to start. Especially when looking at old load data for powder that isn't manufactured the way it used to be. Looking up data in old manuals "could be" a bad thing. This was an extreme example, but still it wasn't funny to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts