• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Reloading and Work Bench Surface Help

DocB

Windsor, VA (but heading for the Rockies)
Thanks in advance for any assistance. I finally have an awesome work bench that I am converting into a reloading and weapon work bench. The bench top is painted whie with what appears to be enamel. I plan on resurfacing the bench top and would like the surface to be of a color other than white or black that will provide enough contrast so as to easily see reloading and weapon components. Also I would like a surface that will not absorb solvents, oils, grease and is easily cleaned, a cleaning/work mat is a must. Lastly I would like it to look nice and be durable. So any suggestions will be very appreciated.

Thanks again, Doc B

Animo et Fide "Courage and Faith"

I've been thinking about having a sheet of plexi glass cut to match the top of my reloading table. It wouldn't be too terribly expensive, and it would be nice a smooth, and easy to clean. You can get it in clear or black.

I like the plexiglass idea.

A couple of suggestions... First, I would move this up to the Reloading discussion thread.
And second, I would try to find a way to use two benches. One for reloading and one for weapon work. I had a single bench for both, and quickly realized that gun oil, copper solvent and copper solvent soaked patches don't mix well with my brass and bullets. I now have two separate rooms, one is my reloading room and the other is my gun area, I could easily get away with one room and two benches, but I had a room that always seemed to get stuff just thrown in there and stored. So I converted it to my reloading room and my old room is now where I do all of my gun work...

In short; In my opinion, a reloading bench is not a work bench..

I too have a bench for reloading and a bench for gun work and another one just for brass cleaning. The tops of the Reloading and gun benches are formica, they work well but I would like to get a piece of stainless steel for the top of them. It would be chemical resistant and have a good contrast against most parts, easy to clean/maintain.

Another reason (the real reason) I like the clear plexi glass idea for a reloading bench, is so you can print off copies of your load information and place it under the plexi glass. You would be able to view it, yet not get it dirty. You could place all of your important information under the glass to be seen at any time, without having to flip through your books and what not. It would be there for instant viewing. You could also keep a bunch of dry erase markers handy, and keep temporary note on the plexi glass. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

I painted a nice piece of 3/4 in plywood. Placed pictures of my wife, kids and hunting buddies and poured epoxy over the top and let it harden. It came out very nice and is resistant to EVERYTHING!!!