reloading 300wm questions

gspman

I have just started reloading again after 25 years, So Iam esentially a newby again.
I have a rem700 xcr w/26in tube - 300 wm. I would like to start shooting LR in the future with this rifle as well as western big game.
Factory ammo grouped 1.25" to 2in and i was never happy with that.
I measured my chamber with a hornady O.A.L gauge and found it to be 2.968",
I measured a fire formed case and set up my sizer die (RCBS)to set the shoulder .002" back. Cases chamber in the rifle w/almost no bolt torque when camming over.

I seated the accubond 180 to 2.40...just sort enough to work thru the magazine reliably.
Started my loads at 71.5gn of H4831SC thru what my hornady book stated as a max load of 74.3gn.
I got a nice 3/8" grouping at 73 gns. My measured velocity is only avg 2860fps. avg dev of 12 fps over a 5 shot string.
Isn't this avg velocity low for that much powder? measured with my master chrony 10ft from the muzzle.
I have no signs of overpressure at all even after a 2nd reloading of the same load with same amount of powder.
If i decrease the jump to lands distance, will this increase my velocity? I know it should increase the pressure some?
Should just increase my powder charge until another sweat spot is found with out causing pressure signs?
I am not sure which direction I should follow at this point. I want this round to be right around 3000 fps to allow easier scope dialing.
Also i do not have any type of special crimping on the bullet. Just neck tension at this point. A buddy told i should put a roll crimp on and that will increase pressure and increase velocity??? t/f

Apoligies for the long post

Regards
gspman

Im not sure which way to tell you to go but I am getting 3050 with 75.5 grains seated at 3.490 with the same powder and bullets. Ryan

your results are exactly what i am looking for...

are you shooting a rem 700 as well, these long throats are just crazy, i would like to seat closer to the lands , but i feel i would a single shot rifle at that point.

I am very satisfied with a solid 3/8in group but its too slow.

I guess unless i find a different answer, i am going to continue bump the powder up and see when the pressure signs come on.

Thanks for your reply bigry26

gspman

I'm shooting a Rem. sendero 300 wm at the lands( 3.60) with 185 gr. VLD,
76 gr H-1000 @ 2914 fps.(thinking of bumping up volume-hopefully till 3000 fps)
I'm getting .35" grouping with 5 shots @ 200 yrds.
My shells fit/chamber in the magazine...Hope this helps some.

Also shooting the Berger 185gn Hunting VLD in my Savage 112BVSS. Pushing it ahead of 79.5gn of H1000 lit by a CCI250. I'm getting 3095fps with no pressure and it's consistently printing in .3-.4" range. I shot a 3" group at 500yds with it Saturday. This is not the best it's ever shot but I'll take it. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.