Recommendations for thread and blended protector?

comfisherman

Got a pile of varmint guns that predate wide spread prevalence of suppressors. Have a can in the pipeline and need to get multiple guns from 17 hornet to 22-250 threaded. Last smith I used has a back log and isn't taking new work, so looking for someone who does good blended thread protectors and threading.

Preferably in the Oregon Washington Idaho and Montana region, but if its gotta ship might as well do 5 as it's the same pita as 1.

Who've you used or recommend, and any pics of the work?

but if its gotta ship might as well do 5 as it's the same pita as 1.
But the cost will be astronomical. Even what used to be relatively cheap ground shipping is crazy expensive...
After spending $150 to ship my son a couple boxes of reloading gear he told me he wants me to ship him a few of his rifles (natch).
He gets 3 free checked "bags" (active duty AF pilot) when he flies commercial- I told him he may as well come visit as he can probably get a round-trip ticket and take them back with him for what it'll cost to ship 'em and pay for the 4473 when they get there...

That's why I'd like one of those four areas, every few months I'm down that way and have a little bubble car to drop off and pick up. Trying to not spend money and end up with a hardwear store looking thread protector.

Check out Long Rifles Inc.

That's why I'd like one of those four areas, every few months I'm down that way and have a little bubble car to drop off and pick up. Trying to not spend money and end up with a hardwear store looking thread protector.
Thread protectors are easy peasy, simple to machine them as needed. I just grab a piece of round stock slightly larger than the muzzle OD, chuck it up, turn it down to the muzzle OD, drill/tap, knurl it, part it off then Cerakote or cold blue to match the barrel. Smith should be able to thread them without pulling the barrel unless you've got any "short" barrels. Gonna depend on his lathe, I've got to pull barrels shorter than 20".

This one was just done by Spartan precision in Caldwell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 8
Check out Long Rifles Inc.

Lri does a great job, but for some reason anything east of the west coast is shocking for shipping. Last week had a quite for a small light weight rifle from a shop in south Dakota to Alaska and cheapest option was 230$. Somehow anything past the western states and the price goes insane.

Kampfeld Customs.

He did some other work for me about 6 months ago, was under the impression he was not taking certain work while he was getting caught up. Guess I should call and see if that's changed.

This one was just done by Spartan precision in Caldwell.

They did a very good job, Caldwell is easy to get to as boise is one of my common destinations. I'll have to give them a call.

Recent Posts