Recommend add on adjustable cheek riser

I have used and made several different types , successfully, that do not alter the stock. Vet wrap and foam - closed cell type. Foam with elastic knee sleeve, The one I really use and like now is one of the slip on strap down cheek rest/strapped with the shell holder on one side and memo pouch on the other. No drilling or modifying my stock.
s-l1600.jpg
Did you make the one shown?

Karsten.https://www.stockysstocks.com/karsten-adjustable-cheekrest.html
This is the one Savage uses on their LRH rifles. I've installed two myself, I Iike the thumb screw modelView attachment 132951 View attachment 132952 . Comes with hardware.
Plus one on the Karsten I've done a few for others and have two on a couple of my rifles. The thumb screw adjustable is nice for ease of adjusting to another shooter from your setting. The thumb screw is a bit bulky for me on a hunting rifle. The slotted one with the Chicago screws is super clean and locks up tight it's just like the thumb screw riser just without the the thumb screws. I like this one for a hunting rifle nothing to snag up on and its infinity adjustable in its range of movement. They also have a six position fixed model my least favorite. I don't want to end up with it one position to high or to low. I have a couple of velcro on pads and pockets and like them just fine but they get wet and hold water the kydex doesn't. The kydex ones are nice you can mold them to your stock with some hot water.

One at sportsmans warehouse put out by BEARCREEK I think...neoprene slide on style I think...maybe a Velcro style...

Find a store that sells foam and fabric. Look for a high density foam rubber - I think it is actually neoprene...like what they use in wet suits, but thicker. It will have a smooth side - and one that is not. Cut an oversize piece - and use electrical tape to temp. place the oversize piece. Use a white lumber marking pencil - or crayon to make your outline. Remove it, put it on the surface you want to use as a cutting board - and use an exacto knife, or sharp scissors to cut your shape. Use sand paper - preferably on a wood block - to taper, and sand the rough side to it's final shape for your comfort/position. Now, Get some water based spray adhesive. Place the shaped foam where you want it on the stock, and gently put some marks with the wax pencil ( a crayon in a color you can see works well) and tape off the area, and protect the stock from overspray using plastic sheeting or newspaper as you may have. Place the stock in a gun vise - or brace it in the upright position ( as it would appear when you shoot it...not "barrel to the sky") - apply the adhesive to the smooth side of the foam - and the area of the stock where it goes. LIGHTLY. Just enough to cover the area....not running, or dripping. After waiting for the adhesive to reach "tack-free" status, start placing the foam GENTLY and CAREFULLY. When the 2 glued surfaces touch - there is NO "re-positioning" - SO - get it where you want it and be careful.
So - now, for probably less than $20 you will have achieved:
1. Proper elevation - by choosing the right thickness of foam ( allow for a little compression when choosing foam thickness)
2. Lowest weight add to the rifle.
3.COMFORTABLE cheek weld. More important with magnum calibers if you practice at a range a lot.
4.CHEAP...and replaceable. If you wanted to remove it, a plastic blade or credit card, some Goof-off, and elbow grease......

Hope this gives you another option to consider-
T

Bradley adjustable cheek rest. They are quick and easy, and very well made without modifications to your stock. They can be had in several different colors and camo patterns.

I like the Bradley too. Tried the slip-ons but was always hacking at the foam insert
because they just didn't fit me. With the Bradley I can adjust it without drilling my stock and also move it to another gun real easy. Here's my Ruger American Predator with a Bradley on it.

upload_2019-5-6_12-22-30.jpeg

I bought one through brownells
They stick on top of comb of stock. Stick solid but will not damage stock when you pull them off if you ever want to take them off. They make them In 3 heights I think. Very soft on the cheek. Marty

They each have their place. I have used a Triad Tactical strap on cheek pad with stock pack. It works very well for the way I typically hunt and the positions I shoot from. I must also admit that it has a very welcome feel in sub-zero weather, unlike a hard piece of plastic against face. But be aware that any type that has multiple straps around the bottom of the stock will not slide smoothly across a rear bag when shooting heavy recoiling rifles. Just something to consider in your overall shooting system/solution. I'm currently experimenting with a Karsten. YMMV

Find a store that sells foam and fabric. Look for a high density foam rubber - I think it is actually neoprene...like what they use in wet suits, but thicker. It will have a smooth side - and one that is not. Cut an oversize piece - and use electrical tape to temp. place the oversize piece. Use a white lumber marking pencil - or crayon to make your outline. Remove it, put it on the surface you want to use as a cutting board - and use an exacto knife, or sharp scissors to cut your shape. Use sand paper - preferably on a wood block - to taper, and sand the rough side to it's final shape for your comfort/position. Now, Get some water based spray adhesive. Place the shaped foam where you want it on the stock, and gently put some marks with the wax pencil ( a crayon in a color you can see works well) and tape off the area, and protect the stock from overspray using plastic sheeting or newspaper as you may have. Place the stock in a gun vise - or brace it in the upright position ( as it would appear when you shoot it...not "barrel to the sky") - apply the adhesive to the smooth side of the foam - and the area of the stock where it goes. LIGHTLY. Just enough to cover the area....not running, or dripping. After waiting for the adhesive to reach "tack-free" status, start placing the foam GENTLY and CAREFULLY. When the 2 glued surfaces touch - there is NO "re-positioning" - SO - get it where you want it and be careful.
So - now, for probably less than $20 you will have achieved:
1. Proper elevation - by choosing the right thickness of foam ( allow for a little compression when choosing foam thickness)
2. Lowest weight add to the rifle.
3.COMFORTABLE cheek weld. More important with magnum calibers if you practice at a range a lot.
4.CHEAP...and replaceable. If you wanted to remove it, a plastic blade or credit card, some Goof-off, and elbow grease......

Hope this gives you another option to consider-

I like this is idea, except for putting any type of adhesive on the stock that is not easily removed, as well as the riser without destroying it. What I do very similar up to adhesive. A that point, I position the foam, than vet tape it using nice pretty camo tape. Then for added comfort, I slip a medium elastic knee brace over it. As I said earlier, Ihav elaso used alip-over cheek rest with th
T
Did you make the one shown?
No. I found mine on eBay for around $7.00. That was cheaper than I could even buy the materials for! I went with a dark green.

Heckif you are a dyi kinda person.....buy a neoprene wrap for you thigh....and make it work...
But sportsmans has em ready to be put on....saw them other day for 30$....
Taking a pic ran thru my head....but you are on a computer...look'em up....
Bli built one from a neoprene for my calf before those came out....guess I should have marketed it.....as well as the idea that promos started with a deer belated in a small can....i thought about that nearly 35 years ago....
Be rich by now.........

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.