Rebarrel

SkipB

I have a 30-06 that I had built up on a Mauser action years ago and I am going to have it re barreled in 220 Swift I had a Swift years ago and regret letting it get away from me. I already have a 22-250 so I dont need another one of those. What twist and length do you folks reccomend. I am going to send it to Pac-Nor for the work. Thanks Skip

8 twist, and if you're loading and shooting a lot then perhaps consider going AI...just to minimize the case stretching...

I just put together a LH Savage 22-250 with a 24" Shilen stainless select match, 1-12". I load and shoot 55gr bullets in my bull barrel 1-12" twist Savage FVSS, hopefully the new barrel will like them as well as the other rifle. I don't think 60-62gr bullets will be a problem in the 1-12 barrel. This barrel was in stock so I didn't have to wait the months I would've had I got a 1-8 twist so that helped make up my mind.

Not going to be shooting a lot just coyotes. Down here in Georgia we maybe get one shot at a coyote in a sitting and I would like to shoot heavier bullets just in case a deer walks out. Sounds like I need an 8 twist what length do you guys think. I learned years ago restoring antique airplanes to listen to others who have done it before now folks listen to me about airplanes so thats why I am asking you folks about the best twist and barrel length. I put a Boyds thumbhole stock on this gun years ago floated the barrel and bedded it and it has what was called at the time a light sporter barrel. I would like to reuse this stock if I can.

I've been using the 22/250 and Swift on yotes and deer for many decades. For yotes, and this is just me but I'm mainly concerned with 300 yards on it. Not that I can't see them further but for me getting good first round hits on the buggers is a bit of a challenge.

Honestly, there's a ton load of good soft point bullets that will do you very well for your applications.

I love the 60 Horn HP and SP, the 63 Sierra, the good old 55 Horn w/c for soft points and for vld's the new 85.5 Berger is a bullet I'm working with now and have a good feel for. I'd think it'd do very well for both deer and lopes.

Really no reason to go with a mono unless one just wants to.

Thats why I was thinking fast twist so I could shoot the heavier bullets my 22-250 is a 14 and shoots anything less than a 50 grain just fine. I really dont need a Swift I have always missed my Mod 77V I had years ago and I kick my *** for ever letting it get away from me. Most of the fields here on my farm are 300 yds and less I just have one thats 500 or better. What do you think is the best barrel length. I spoke to Pac Nor today and told them I wanted their stainless match barrel with either an 12 twist or a 10 if I cant get an 12. I`m not interested in shooting any mono bullets just soft points I really dont care about the pelts. I just want a good shooting really accurate Swift. I still have my dies and several hundred cases I`ll just have to work up a good load for it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.