Reading mountain winds

dicktaylor

I am looking for pointers on reading wind in steep, irregular terrain. The wind direction and velocity can be different at the target and at intervening points between shooter and target. I do not feel secure taking a shot at long range when wind is present. Suggestions on wind doping in these conditions?

I long range hunt in mountainous terrain for deer and bear and the only way you'll know what's truly going on is to hunt the same area for years and see what the normal prevailing conditions are. You also will need to know your rifle and how it's effected in different conditions. Experience and lots of practice shooting in wind will ultimately be the deciding factor on whether to take the shot or not. If you you don't feel secure in taking a shot when wind is present your in the wrong game as wind is almost always a factor here. It's impossible to know what the wind is doing at different ranges across a canyon. All you have to go by is what it's doing where your at and what it's doing where your bullets going to land. The wind in between is nothing but a well educated guess. I suggest practice, practice, practice shooting in wind and see how it effects you bullets flight.

practise practise practise, don't take the shot at an animal unless you are sure you can make the shot.

There are some wind conditions when you just need to realise that is not worth risking a shot, for the good of the game animal if nothing else

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.