Re-barrel a Browning AB3

Harry136

hi
I have a browning hunter AB3 in .243. I'm looking to get it rebarrelled. Could anyone tell me if it's possible to fit the 24in varmint barrel from a browning x bolt on to the AB3?

Fitting a 'factory' barrel to another receiver is almost the cost of fitting a new, custom barrel. The cost comes in the set-up, not the actual cutting. Rifle barrels aren't "drop-in", unless you start talking Savage and then there are specs to be met. A hobby gunsmith might do this for you, but few pros will. The *** don't want your dis-satisfaction hanging over their head.

Certainly possible, you would need to know if the tenon diameter and thread pitch are the same for both actions. Same manufacturer so its a pretty good chance they are, I do not know though.

If the barrel tenons are the same a gunsmith could set the barrel back a thread or two, recut the shoulder and rechamber for the proper headspace on your ab3.

Even if the tenons and threads werent the same its still possible but getting even more involved.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.