Rangefinding Binocular Search

I just went from pairing a set of Vortex Viper HD 10x42s and an older Leupold rangefinder to the Sig BDX3000s. The Sig glass is easily on par with the Vipers, and I have no trouble ranging the hill next to the deer, if not the deer itself, out to 1400m (it might go farther, but I haven't yet tried). I'm sold on it, and I still haven't gotten the ballistics part figured out. I need to get them talking to my Kestrel, or the Applied Ballistics app on my phone...

Very interesting. I'm reading about the Kestrel 5700 Elite Meter with Applied Ballistics with Bluetooth and I guess if you pair it with the BDX3000 you have a pretty comprehensive ballistics solution that's fast and easy to use.

So do you have the Kestrel 5700 Elite Meter with Applied Ballistics and Bluetooth?

I have Sig 3000 and have used it both ways with the Kestrel 5700 and just using the Sig app which is limited to 800.
The problem with the using the Kestrel is it has to be on and paired while you are making the shot which is fine if you have time or a guide who can do one or the other,.. range or hold the Kestrel.
I just returned from Colorado elk hunting and since I was only 12 miles from a weather station and had phone service I used the Sig app and it works very well and it and the Kestrel gave pretty much same Dope.
I could update when the temperature rose during the day if I felt the need. Made a 514 yd shot on a cow elk and it worked perfectly.
I did range a cow at 1187 but had no dope since I did not have the Kestrel on.
My regular binoculars are the Mavens and they are a little better but I am perfectly happy so far with the Sig.
I was lucky that the store near here had two pair as one pair the collimation was not perfect on one pair but the second one was good.
My buddy who has a pair who has used them in Africa with my Kestrel had great success and bragged about how well they worked turned me on to them..... his had the ever so slight alignment issue as well when I looked at them.
He said his PH would hold the Kestrel while he ranged with Sig and PH would give elevation and wind holds. I have noticed that Kestrel read outs are very quick from Binoculars but the same info appears in Binoculars but it's a little delayed.
My friend did not even notice that Dope appeared in Binoculars as he put them down once he hit a good range and listened to PH for info from Kestrel.
If making longer than 800 yard shoots are critical then the Kestrel is a must have item and in some cases I would guess you could have time to turn on Kestrel and sync for info but maybe I just have not figured out all the nuances and it can be paired and will save last weather info?

Please excuse my ignorance but I've been using the same Bushnell rangefinder for over 10 years and am just now deciding to upgrade.

What do you mean "full version of the balistic app"? Doesn't the BDX3000 have the same ballistic app? Is it less capable than the BR2500?

The Sig will only give you Dope out to 800 yards unless paired with a ballistic app through blue tooth, the BR2500 will give dope to 1400 yards without an additional device. Albeit if your taking a 1400 yard shot you probably want a kestral anyways for the wind. I have used the BR2500 to make shots out to 1100 yards. The whole idea of having a rangefinding bino is to not have to carry extra equipment so to me it seems crazy they wouldnt put the full version of the ballistic app, the same one in their ABS2400 into the binos.

The Sig will only give you Dope out to 800 yards unless paired with a ballistic app through blue tooth, the BR2500 will give dope to 1400 yards without an additional device. Albeit if your taking a 1400 yard shot you probably want a kestral anyways for the wind. I have used the BR2500 to make shots out to 1100 yards. The whole idea of having a rangefinding bino is to not have to carry extra equipment so to me it seems crazy they wouldnt put the full version of the ballistic app, the same one in their ABS2400 into the binos.
I do agree, I wish they'd put a tier better glass, incorporated the atmosphere sensors, given the ability to get wind from a kestrel or a phone using the wind vein, and charged say 1800-2000$ for it. I personally get bummed by mediocre glass after getting spoiled by the good stuff. My conquest hd 10x42 now look dull compared to my GPO 8X42. I will probably sell them and get a set of GPO 12.5x50. I will run my 2400abs next to my binos until someone comes out with upper class glass and a full ballistics engine.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.