Range day boys anf I

DartonJager

First off sorry no pictures.
Had boys burn through 25 rounds each of low brass practicing shooting 3" clay birds taped to lawn signs at every angle and seated shooting position I could think of.
Checked the POA vs POI of my 870 Supermag Benelli Supernova and MOSS/835
Supernova and 870 Supermag have VariX-II 2-7×33 the 835 has a Sig Romeo 5 RD
Patterned at 30, 40 and 50.
Used Winchester Long Beard XR with 2oz #5 shot
Tried #4's long ago but fives were so much better I had to go with them
Using Carlson's 0.660 AM tubes for Long Beard XR shells in all guns
Tried Indian Creek but the Carlson's worked better.
I should be use to it after having been using and patterning Long Beard XR shells since they came out but I'm still utterly amazed at the patterns these shells give at 50 and even 60 yards using 2oz of #5 shot.
Tried a kind of penitration test. I took along some Ice Flavored water bottles as they are about the same shape and size of a Toms head and neck and are made from IMO thicker and stiffer plastic as used in regular water bottles I had refilled 100% with water.
Wrapped each in a single layer of masking tape to hopefully indicate hits that failed to penitrate then taped them to a target holder at 60 LRF confirmed yards.
Shot one round each out of all 3 guns of 12ga 3.5" 2oz #5 WLBXR's while seated in my Browning Turkey hunting chair
Found 19 in the bottle I shot with the 870 Supermag
17 with the Benelli Supernova
And 12 with the MOSS/835
IMO definitely enough to kill a Tom at 60 yards.
Had given some thought to trying out TSS but with the Winchester Long Beard XR shells doing this good can't justify the almost 4x more expensive TSS shells.
I was also amazed how well balanced the patterns were at all ranges giving a nice 10-12" spread at 25 & 30 but still great no escape patterns at 40, 50 and even 60 yards. If your reasonably on your bird when you pull the trigger that Toms getting a invitation to be the guest star of dinner at your home.
Glad I bought enough WLBXR shells for quite a few seasons more for my sons and I.

You're very correct about the Winchester long beards . This was at 40 yards and I pulled the shot just a touch but it still would have been a dead bird . I was handloading a very complex load that shot every bit as good as these . But why waste my components when I can buy these and they shoot just as good. I'll save my stuff for when these run out . Oh by the way I'm shooting an 870 super mag also

Attachments

• 9204546D-032A-49CF-B723-55C30E48A0C9.jpeg
    9204546D-032A-49CF-B723-55C30E48A0C9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 96
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.