Ran another ladder still can’t seem to find a clear path forward

For a hunting rifle I would just load group 6, unless you just want to burn some powder and bullets for fun.

Horizontal grouping is wind, a 150 grain 308 bullet moves about 2" at 100 yards in a full value 10 mph wind. I know you said the wind was less than 10 mph but unless you are in a wind tunnel they are not sustained at a given value. You may break one shot at 2mph and the next at 5 mph. Pressure has a direct effect on velocity. Neck tension, seating depth and powder charge variations will more likely give verticle stringing. If this is a hunting load 1 moa should be good enough for ethical ranges.
Powder charge absolutely has something to do with vertical stringing. No one thing has everything to do with a single symptom of bad grouping.

Last edited:
Shot is wind less than 10 mph. From a bench with sand bags. Last group on bottom left was sighting a different rifle. But they are in order left to right, top to bottom. Starting lowest charge working to highest. 4 min between shots for barrel to cool. Started with a clean barrel
Been there!
Short checklist;
1:Check all mounting screws of your scope (hope it is a high quality one!) and / or just for fun, try mounting a different scope.
2: Try another brand of bullet. ( had one that would not shoot particular bullet)
3: if still cannot locate the " sweet spot" try another powder

106B955B-28FF-4E6D-A442-B8407B579FA6.gif

😇😇😇😇😇😇😇

Well after 200 rnds on my wilderness terrain I found out my factory muzzle brake only had .004 over bore. Everywhere I've read .020 minimum, they were quick to send out a replacement we'll see how it affects it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.