Ramshot Powder - TAC

Ian M

We chronographed TAC in a couple of very good .308 Winchester rifles this afternoon, shot quite a lot of interesting loads so that we could compare it with our mainstay - Varget. Bullets shot were Nosler 155, Sierra 168, Speer 168, Barnes 168 XLC and Triple Shock.

Initial impression is that the accuracy is there and we got a velocity increase with TAC. For instance with a 45 grain load of either powder, 165-168 bullets, TAC seemed to produce from 50-70 fps more velocity and accuracy was very similar. We intend to continue these shooting tests since one afternoon is not enough to make any judgment. Interested to see if there is much difference in maintaining accuracy as the shot-count adds up between cleaning. Also in ease of clean-up after a similar number of rounds have been fired, clean cold bore shot location and temp. insensitivity.

Biggest difference is that TAC goes through my measure like water, very fine granules.

Not sure about temp insensitivity, hope to try the two powders out long (long for us is 700-1000) during a hot day to see if anything is obvious.

Big question is how it will taste on my Rice Krispies in the morning, kind of have a taste developed for Varget
wink.gif

John Barness reported that Ramshot powders are temperature stable and also have an anti fouling additive in them.

They are not distributed in my state yet so I have not tried them.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.