Raccoons getting my feeder help?

I doubt the cages are made large enough to fit over his 35 gal drum.
Can you hang the feeder further away from the tree trunk? A black bear will easily to the same thing the coon did.
Dukes dog proof traps have been my answer. This eliminates them totally, and thus saves a lot of wild turkey poults also.
Those cages bolt to the bottom of the feeder and cover the timer/motor box only. They are meant for racoons and deer noses/tongues, that was suggested before the pics of bears.

The racoons are highly intelligent & well organized. A detailed look at each event will ID the individual(s) involved. It looks like they have short arms and moving the drum further away from the tree trunk & wrapping a lower portion of the trunk with claw resistant sheet aluminum might prevent the racoons from climbing the tree & grasping the drum. The racoons have no fear of falling and have remarkable strength and agility (qualified second story burglars).

Hello good people, howdy young man, I have been down to earth and there is a lot of ways to stop or deter it. Now most of us in my area use flashing
Now some places don't want nails in there trees so if you can get a piece of tin about 5 ft give or take wrap the the tree, start about 4 ft off the ground. This will also work some what with bears which we have a lot of problems.
Good luck.

Hey, can you please refill your feeder

60AB7A9C-5C23-42EB-9788-53B61EB41F3B.jpeg

Feeders with plates are the best solution

C4B4F262-FDBA-4918-B71D-CDBF6AE60BA1.jpeg

If you are going to keep your current feeders, Duke's Dog Proof traps and a 22 rifle will fix the problem for a while

83F82479-1A28-41AE-877E-10D1E2CF3E65.jpeg

It appears that raccoons have been causing havoc on my feeder. They were able to knock down the feeder motor. Any suggestions on raccoon proofing my set up? Barbed wire? Metal sheet around the tree?
Picture 1 shows it stretched out on the motor. Picture 2 shows the corn on the ground and no motor. Lucky the motor is in tact and will be re set up this coming week.

This is in Arkansas. The feeder is hung to avoid bears.
Put thin tin on the tree from the ground to above the feeder. It used to happen to me.

These are great if dogs may be present - more you put out the better. But do realize there are many efficient trapping methods to remove them.

I am mainly concerned with accidentally catching a porcupine and badgers, we have several on the ranch. At less than $10 a piece, this is the way I chose in hopes of preventing catching anything but a coon.

Weed burner electric fence and use copper wire to insure max discharge. A few cracks on nose, paws, face will discourage even brown bears. Game cam with video is must to record the reactions. Do not drink while watching or wear bib.!!! Huge believer in weed burners, cured me of backing into one with sweaty T Shirt. Thought somebody hit me with baseball bat! I don't think my horse didn't stop laughing for days!

Let's combine some ideas! String a cable between two trees. Hang the feeder on a pulley so you can refill it. Put an electric fence charger on the cable to prevent coon or bears from performing their "high wire act". When they climb either tree and touch the cable they get shocked. A bird landing on it, shouldn't get shocked, but maybe I'm wrong? Don't tell the bears how to run the pulley system. Use rope on the pulley or you will get shocked also!
OR, get 6 pieces of 1 1/2" X 10 ft conduit and 3 couplers and make a 20 ft tall tripod. Hang the feeder from the top with a pulley.
Spray the legs with SPAM for baking o make them slippery. Stake the legs with 12" galvanized nails and hose clamps.. Or find an old windmill that's not working any longer. Remove the ladder. Makes great perches for the birds. If it works and can generate power, all the better.

Let's combine some ideas! String a cable between two trees. Hang the feeder on a pulley so you can refill it. Put an electric fence charger on the cable to prevent coon or bears from performing their "high wire act". When they climb either tree and touch the cable they get shocked. A bird landing on it, shouldn't get shocked, but maybe I'm wrong? Don't tell the bears how to run the pulley system. Use rope on the pulley or you will get shocked also!
OR, get 6 pieces of 1 1/2" X 10 ft conduit and 3 couplers and make a 20 ft tall tripod. Hang the feeder from the top with a pulley.
Spray the legs with SPAM for baking o make them slippery. Stake the legs with 12" galvanized nails and hose clamps.. Or find an old windmill that's not working any longer. Remove the ladder. Makes great perches for the birds. If it works and can generate power, all the better.
But if you don't trap them you still have coons to feed!

It's not just the fact they empty the feeder, it's that they eat the corn intended for the deer.

Same with cows, but cows are easier, twenty 16' hog panels and 40 t-post eliminate the cows altogether, but then you end up with this:

A1AC26D0-D09E-4C41-A532-48EA94F2CFB3.jpeg

It's not just the fact they empty the feeder, it's that they eat the corn intended for the deer.

Same with cows, but cows are easier, twenty 16' hog panels and 40 t-post eliminate the cows altogether, but then you end up with this:

View attachment 394525
Get a boat winch , attached it too the tree hang the feeder away from the tree and rig your cable accordingly too the feeder, too winch it up and down . The coons can't do anything but get on top of the feeder. hang it as high on a limb as you wish. I used too secure the cable too the limb at top go down too the feeder pulley back up too another pulley next too your anchored or tied off cable, and then back too the winch , this will cut your load in half . I wold also add a small varmint cage too keep the birds from it. I used this set up for years , but now use feeders with retractable spinners etc. ,make sure your far enough away from the tree.

Recent Posts