Quick Load Software

Keystone7mm

Hello all!

I have been considering getting Quick Load for years, but I've always shot fairly common cartridges that had abundant load data. I'm in the process of having a 7mm Rem Mag built that will have a long barrel and fast twist rate (1-7.5") so I can shoot the heavy boolits and monos, and possibly the very slow powders.

I'm still researching the software, and I was wondering how many on here use it? What do you like or dislike about the program? What do you use it for primarily? How difficult/easy is it to use?

Any information you guys want to share would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I love Quickload. Use it for all my loading.

I like being able to run a screen for all powders for a given bullet and max loads to look for highest safe velocity.

I like being able to calc. bullet exit time and compare to the Long white paper to try to find harmonic node sweet spots.

I certainly look at max pressure and generally Im happy not exceeding 60,000.

There is really a lot you can do with it.

Long-term user.

I find it very helpful in modeling output based on inputs.

My biggest complaint is the absence of any kind of understandable user manual.

It took me over three years to understand many of the inputs which are available.

GRT is equally good but it is not clear if we will be seeing updated data going forward.

just remember neither one is a loading manual. they are software to predict an outcome, junk in junk out it might take years to learn how all the different inputs effect the predicted output. once figured out they are great, it just takes time and the ability to read your brass to know which inputs to change.

just remember neither one is a loading manual. they are software to predict an outcome , . . .
Excellent point. Unlike QL and GRT, load manuals represent data gathered by actually firing a particular bullet, powder and primer combination. That said, I find both QL and GRT to be helpful tools, but I still try to corroborate their output with published load data when available. The more data points I have, the more confident I am that I'm not about to blow my face off. When published data is not available, I back off QL/GRT predicted max pressure by 10% and work up. Neither QL nor GRT are a substitute for common sense.

Thanks for the feedback guys. What do those of you who replied use it for specifically? I saw a YouTube video about using it to find nodes per barrel length without firing a shot, based on time of barrel travel.

Start here:

http://www.the-long-family.com/OBT_paper.htm

If you believe the theory, and I do, QuickLOAD can then be used to predict the load which will generate one of Chris Long's OBT nodes which are a function of barrel length.

In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

In practice, the more variables you can measure and input into the QuickLOAD model, the more accurate will be the OBT load estimate.

The program provides its assumptions from SAAMI data and data from bullet and powder manufacturers. The assumptions are generally accurate but powder burn rates can be off by 10% or more.

You can help the accuracy of the estimates by inputting some data yourself such as the following:

H2O capacity of your fired cases.
Weighing factor where other data might be more accurate than the standard QuickLOAD assumption
Burn Rate of the powder which you can estimate from what your chronograph is telling you.
Shot Start Pressure where you can adjust for all copper bullets, for example
Temperature
Bullet into the lands
Bullet coatings
COAL of your rounds, not the SAAMI spec which QuickLOAD uses.

The list goes on. Even if you know your results will be better by refining the standard assumptions, it is not easy to figure out which assumptions do what and if there might be better inputs from other sources.

I do recommend that you confirm what QuickLoad is telling you with published sources before firing and that you load a small number of rounds well below the maximum to confirm that QuickLOAD velocity estimates are close to what your chronograph is telling you. Based on the chronograph data, readjust variables until velocity matches the prediction. Only then move up to the predicted OBT load which I find is often close to the maximum predicted pressure. Remember velocity equals pressure.

Definitely a learning curve.

Do I think it's worth it based on ten years of experience? Yes.

I can usually find a good load based on group size near and far and velocity standard deviations with fewer than 20 rounds.

The program also shows you which other powders will produce the optimal barrel time possibly with higher velocity or lower pressures with your given assumptions. The answer is almost always Reloder 26 which of course is not available.

Hope that's helpful.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback guys. What do those of you who replied use it for specifically? I saw a YouTube video about using it to find nodes per barrel length without firing a shot, based on time of barrel travel.
OBT in software is theoretical. Powder profiles within the software "ALL" need fine tuning.
You actually need to send shots down the barrel to tune data before obtaining any relevant information.
But once you have that data you can begin to query OBT but it's still theoretical.

Quickload is great, but it is an evolving math model. With no tuning, it is better than a swag, but not much better. After you add some of the details @Hawk in WY speaks of, it gets much better.

Then it is ready for more and better simulations.

All this said, picking a powder from a manual will often yield better results for that accuracy/ velocity balance.

i haven't tried GRT, but probably should. I found Quickload easier at first so I have stuck with it.