Questions on a 260 build?

helidriver72

I'm in the process of having a 260 rem built for semi long range deer hunting(700-800 yards) I'm trying to keep weight down, but still have a rifle that can perform accuracy wise, Rem. 700 SS action, Hogue full length aluminum bedded stock, Douglas #4 contour SS fluted barrel.
One of my questions is can I get enough velocity out of a 22" barrel for what I want to do?
I'd like to use a 140 grain bullet, any suggestions or loads that work for you guys? Any input on this project is welcome.
I have a 300 ultra Sendero with Leupold BDC dial that I use with good success at long range, just looking for something a little lighter to pack around.

Helidriver72 ,

A 22" barrel will be a fine packing rifle ,it's the overbore -high intensity rounds that benefit most from long barrels.
Guns like a 220 swift -243 -264win mag -not to name the wildcats need long barrels to get the bullet going and the powder burned.
Remington had some info. on their site at one point -it stated that cartridges that ran bullets the fastest lost the most FPS per barrel inch ,cartridges that run bullets 4,000 fps lost as much as 80 fps per barrel inch.
Efficient rounds like the 260 -7 08 will do well w/a 22" barrel ,there are some factory rifles chambered in 308 that have 18 1/2" barrels and do fine on velocity.

Just a guess on velocity lost per barrel inch in a 260 -?- 20ish fps shooting 140's.
Don't have any load data to offer but i sure like the 260 in everyway ,you'll get some input soon -hunting season you know.

Shawn Carlock shoots the 260rem in tactical matches and wins -he'll likely chime in -if not pm him -he'll hook you up..

I've pondered a 260AI using 243 lapua brass necked up ? Would be a great set-up -not that a standard ain't..

Good luck -Mike

Last edited:
I realize it's a little different, but I just built a 260AI on a Rem LTR. I simply trued the action and re-barelled it with a 23" Rock barrel. Using H4350 I can reach 2900fps. I find the LTR platform light enough for carrying around and plenty stable for the shots your are talking about.

Thanks for the input guys I'm gettin pretty excited about this build. Cant wait to start working up a load for it.

Just checked my notes and even my fireforming load which is a standard 260 case and a max charge of H4350 gets 2770fps. So I can't imagine you won't be able to get decent speed out of the 22" barrel.

I'm shooting the 140gr Hornady SST. I would like to try the 130 or 140gr Berger VLD, but they are hard to come buy where I am. The SST's are grouping fine for now, in the 1/2 MOA range out to 500 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.