Questions on 1000yd shooting?

At the range awhile back I had a new shooter using factory ammo get on target at 440yds in 2-3 shots while spotting for him. I would have loved to take him to 600 yds but he was clearly satisfied and left.
I shot competitively with handguns for years and distractions where the norm. Just shoot your targets when it's your time up. I can't emphasize enough that focus and intention on success regardless your surroundings will lead you to your goals. Failure is the norm during the first attempts but it's where much is learned.
I predict that it won't be long before you see hits at extended distances. Eventually the goal will no longer be a hit at 1000 yds, but to group well there.

You won't "Fail" but "Succeed" if you enjoy what you are doing.
Anyone can shoot 1,000 yds, but it takes some skill and proper equipment to hit a target at 1K. If you start shooting LR eventually you will get bit by the Bug and ADDICTED. Then it is all over and spending many $$$$$$ to shoot farther & better groups to satisfy the addiction. Getting the $$$$ and equipment is one thing, but the next difficult thing is finding land to shoot the distance.
Good luck and I am sure that you will have many years of enjoyment. There is a lot of good free information on the internet for LR shooting. The best thing is to find someone that has knowledge on ELR to help you out. Then Pratice Pratice Pratice!

You won't "Fail" but "Succeed" if you enjoy what you are doing.
Anyone can shoot 1,000 yds, but it takes some skill and proper equipment to hit a target at 1K. If you start shooting LR eventually you will get bit by the Bug and ADDICTED. Then it is all over and spending many $$$$$$ to shoot farther & better groups to satisfy the addiction. Getting the $$$$ and equipment is one thing, but the next difficult thing is finding land to shoot the distance.
Good luck and I am sure that you will have many years of enjoyment. There is a lot of good free information on the internet for LR shooting. The best thing is to find someone that has knowledge on ELR to help you out. Then Pratice Pratice Pratice!
That's my problem is finding a place to shoot 500yds and beyond. I'm totally down after getting to 1000 to shoot moa is the goal. I am not down with these guys shooting 2miles etc. it's still obviously insane skill but seems like a man be sending it hoping for the best lobbing them out there. May not be that way tho, I don't know.

Wasn't going to post these cause their not great, decent to good The wife burned small box of cutouts I had, best groups I ever shot burning Christmas boxes few years ago disappointed say the least Nothing to brag about I've done much better taught kids to shoot pretty good too
73E9BF82-2A78-466C-A0FB-43EAF08DB34E.jpeg

80A87DE0-C957-4B42-99D9-02D595A152E3.jpeg
C179DD84-8206-424E-A517-BAA0B7A78708.jpeg
2826B502-8ECA-45B2-A1DA-BA507825ADAB.jpeg

I've also never turned necks etc. just basic brass prep nothing special and have gotten good results. Going to learn and start precision brass prep. I am very precise and methodical loading, powder weight, cbto that gun likes etc. I have new learning to do lol. Used to jam bullet into the lands and neck size lmao make think gonna break bolt handle to eject brass. Hand loading come along way since then. Erik Cortina one my favorites on YouTube on those subjects lmao

I reckon I'll put my spin on it.

I think most fail before they succeed on it. Natural growth in a displine and all. I think LR and beyond IS technologically based, thus will become expensive. It really is one of those sports. Good optic mechanics (like tracking), rangefinders, and such become more important the further out you go.

As other said, the wind is art and discipline in itself.

Lastly, while many try to load the best ammo they can, you can get plenty good hit probability at 1/2 moa with ES around 20…ES will come more into effect the further out you go and the smaller the target. Hit probability isn't everything, but it paints a picture of the limit of your data for a give range/size/load/cartridge combo.

I reckon I'll put my spin on it.

I think most fail before they succeed on it. Natural growth in a displine and all. I think LR and beyond IS technologically based, thus will become expensive. It really is one of those sports. Good optic mechanics (like tracking), rangefinders, and such become more important the further out you go.

As other said, the wind is art and discipline in itself.

Lastly, while many try to load the best ammo they can, you can get plenty good hit probability at 1/2 moa with ES around 20…ES will come more into effect the further out you go and the smaller the target. Hit probability isn't everything, but it paints a picture of the limit of your data for a give range/size/load/cartridge combo.
Those really good loads I have for my rifles have low spread ES and SD over 5shots. I'm going to upgrade my chrono as well. It's cheapest caldwell that can be bought has worked fine for most part except seems like it will always ERR 2-3 out of 5 shots when want those number the worst lol. The app I have with it doesn't find chrono anymore anyway. PIA

From what you've posted you know what you're doing and you can dial in a new load that your rifle likes.

So find a decent bullet and work up some loads. I'm not even saying it has to be a LR/ELR specific bullet. The last time I went to the 1000 yard range, I was shooting decent factory ammo and getting hits at 1018 yards.

Get good DOPE and go for it.

It's really not rocket science to hit 1000 yards. Earlier this summer I went to an new shooter workshop and witnessed some people who had never shot past 100 yards hitting targets at 600-800 repeatedly and some of them were getting consistent impacts at 1000. Almost everyone who tried to hit 1000 eventually had some success that day.

But a key factor was an experienced person spotting and helping them dial in their scope and making wind calls

Go for it and have fun. If you very rarely have the opportunity to shoot that far do you really want to invest in a bunch of equipment to shoot farther? Probably not. The rifle and ammo you have should get you out there pretty far and the experience you gain will probably make you that much better/more confident at the ranges you do normally shoot.

Recent Posts