first 1000yd shoot

DCGS

Official LRH SPONSOR
Today I went to my first 1000 yd shoot. I shot my 7mm rum. It is just a hunting gun but it shoots very good. First I would like to tell you about the gun. I was sent to Nate at SSG on the advice of Joel Russo to do the barrel work. Then the gun was sent back to Joel to be bedded in the H&S stock. The help didn't stop there. I can't tell you the number of times I've called Joel and asked for advice about loads for me and my friends. He has always be more than willing to help. The work done by SSG was great, which led to having Nate build me and a friend a complete 7-300 wsm, and barrel action job for another friend. The people I have come to know on this site has been great. I have actually stopped by Joel's house and met him on some work trips. I don't think I will ever be just driving thru ND to stop by and meet Nate but I really wish I could. I just felt a need to give some thanks to these guys for making me a better shooter than I thought i could ever be. Back to the shoot I shot a 5.400 group. I would have had a chance to win but was not a member soI could not go to the shoot off. I still was pleased to know that I shot the best group in light gun today. Thanks again guys for all the help Dan

Thats awsome! I hope that when I get to shoot to 1000 yards that I can pull a group like that (highly unlikely with my gear). I also shoot a light rifle and have gained almost all my knowlege from the incredible members of this site. Thanks for the story and keep up the good shooting.

JM

a 5.4" group that i'm assuming was 10 shots at Williamsport. to say i'm impressed is an understatement. i'll guarantee you had a bunch of em mumbling under their breath!

No, I was at Butner and the light gun class shoots only 5 shot groups but there were some guys still shaking there heads at a hunting gun shooting with all the fancy bench rest stuff. My daddy always told me you tried harder when you were the underdog. Thanks for the replys Dan

Congratulations Dan!
That's some good shooting with a bench gun, not to mention a hunting rifle in a large caliber.
If I remember correctly, didn't you win a 600 yard match with one of your rifles is an HS Precision stock before I made the bench stock?

It's been a pleasure talking with you and working on your rifles.

It's a testament to your shooting ability when you can show up at a benchrest match with a hunting rifle, and beat the guy on the bench next to you shooting a heavy gun.

I didn't win the match but shot the smallest group all day in light or heavy gun,1.399 with my 6BR. Since you built the stock for me I haven't been back to 600yd but at 100 it shot a .072, 5 shot group. By the way yours looks much better than the H&S and rides the bags great. Thats the hard part about not having a bench stock is making sure the gun and reticle is level every time you pull the trigger but to me that makes it a marksmanship contest. I watched those guys just push there gun up against a stop and pull the trigger taking most of the human skill out of it. It was fun but I think I will stick to shooting rocks, gallon milk jugs of water or what ever you pick out and range with your friends on Sat afternoon. I may go to some 600yd matches least you get to shoot about 40 rds instead of 5. I wish there was more open country in NC like out west so you could do more long range but I'm lucky to have a few friends that own land to extend the invite. Don't do much more than bench with the 6BR I would cry if I put a scratch on that stock. Thanks again for the work you put in it. Dan

Dan,
That sure is some awesome shooting!!!! My biggest congrats. I agree with the milk jugs, rocks and metal plates. I never had much interest in bench shooting. I would like to try some tactical matches in the near future....
I shot a service rifle match once. It was a blast! I actually did quite well.

once again congrats!

308nate

Thanks Nate,
The only thing about giving you guys the credit you deserve for the great work is that then you get to busy and it takes longer to get your next toy, on the other hand you have more time to save up for the optics. One day I would like to talk to you about a 6mm I have in mind maybe for next year although talking to a pretty lady (your wife) is always nice too. Looking forward for the 7-300wsm to arrive. I have to rag Jett that I got mine first but not to bad he has the land we can shoot on. Thanks Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.